For more information contact: Dr. Diana I. Rios, Dept. Communication Sciences, U-85 University of Connecticut Storrs, CT 06269 [log in to unmask]

Dr. Mari Castaneda, Dept. of Communication University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA 01003 [log in to unmask].

JANUARY 31,2009 (EXTENDED DEADLINE). CALL FOR ABSTRACTS. Soap Operas and Telenovelas in the Digital Age: Global Industries, Hybrid Content, and New Audiences. Soap operas continue to be persistent theoretical, socio-cultural, and politico-economic global media. Increased technological innovations (YouTube, web fan sites, DVDs), programming hybridizations, population migrations, and historical tastes are some elements that have fueled the persistence and transformation of these serialized melodramas. This transdisciplinary, popular mass communication volume will address several overlapping concerns of the melodramatic serial in localized, translocal and global contexts.  Major, interconnected areas to be addressed are: media industries, hybrid content, and new audiences.We welcome abstract proposals that address one of the following areas: Media industry issues include creative writing, visual production, labor, and international-flow patterns in export and import, historical regulatory policies, and political-economy of the industry in different states.

Hybrid Content issues include analysis of television, photo novels/fotonovelas, radio novels/radionovelas, serials used for entertainment-education, and health promotions.

New Audiences issues include cultural uses and gratifications, cultivation, social learning, subversive practices, unique experiences of ethnic and racial minorities, gendered, GLBTQ, working class, religious audiences. Contributions will be theoretically and methodologically accessible to an interdisciplinary readership interested in the social impact of popular communication, the functions of entertainment media, political economy and international communication flow. Send a 300-word ABSTRACT by JANUARY 31,2009 (EXTENDED DEADLINE) to: [log in to unmask]. Complete manuscripts will be solicited after abstracts are fully reviewed. Later, manuscripts will be organized in the book according to fit and cohesiveness.

For more information contact: Dr. Diana I. Rios, Dept. Communication Sciences, U-85 University of Connecticut Storrs, CT 06269 [log in to unmask]

Dr. Mari Castaneda, Dept. of Communication University of Massachusetts Amherst, MA 01003 [log in to unmask].

Know Justice, Know Peace,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor of Communication

ASU FSA Co-VP for Faculty, AEJMC MAC Officer

Alabama State University, 915 S. Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271 PH:334-229-6885

Thanks in advance for your research & creative activity referrals: http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin

With all my  heart I want work that I love; for abundant pay; in a beautiful, functional, comfortable environment; with/for kind, competent, happy, supportive people who love, enjoy and appreciate me and I they. Ashe.

Confidentiality Notice: Unless otherwise noted, this e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.