My wife and I went out to see MADAGASCAR 2 last night with our son and one of his friends.  The Warren was sold out, which made me sad, so we went on to Norman to watch it there.  It was great.

While we were in Norman, we ate at Santa Fe Steakhouse.  With peanut shells all over the floor, no one notices the mess your kid makes.  A big plus.

The server that took our order was cute as a bug’s ear, confident, and had a husky voice like Kathleen Turner.  (I’m an observant writer, trained in my craft, so I notice things like this.  My wife, also very observant, laughs at me.)  Given the fact that many servers in restaurants around Norman are also college students, I asked the server if she was, indeed, a college student.  She said she was, majoring in nursing, and graduating in May.

(I keep looking for someone majoring in Anthropology as a personal quest because I keep thinking I’d like a masters in that.  Sadly, I haven’t found anyone yet.  It’s a personal quest.  I know they exist, but they must be like leprechauns.  Or maybe independently wealthy so they don’t have to work.  I refuse to believe that they’re really lab rats getting paid for having audacious experiments performed on them by professors that were banned from working in the real world.  But I digress…)

Anyway, after learning about Folio 21 from Sarah Cole last week and being impressed with what the program entails, I asked Liz (yep, I always get people’s names and can generally remember them hours and sometimes months later – especially young women with husky voices like that) if she’d heard of Folio 21.  She hadn’t, and she’s worried about finding a job.

And she’s GRADUATING IN MAY!

So I told her to go to Career Services and look into the Folio 21 program.  (Sarah, I used your name shamelessly!)  She thanked me for the info, and even stopped me on the way out while on an extremely busy shift to thank me again as we left.  I made her promise to tell at least five friends.  Kind of a PAY IT FORWARD thing.

If you slept through class or were thinking about lunch/dinner (or some significant other out to destroy what little life you have) while Sarah was talking about this, here’s a recap:  President Boren has paid for every student this year to have access to this service.  Folio 21 provides a website resume that you can control, alter, and even split off into separate pages for different job applications.  For $25 per year after you graduate, the site will remain there for you.

Since you guys are going to have at least 13-15 jobs throughout your professional lives (and apply for jobs many, MANY more times than that), and since the world has gone high-tech, I think Folio 21 is a fantastic weapon to have in your job-hunting arsenal.  More people should know about it.

Now I’m challenging you guys.  I want you to please tell your friends about Folio 21.  I want you to Facebook and MySpace about it.  I want you to blog about it, and your experience signing up for it when you do that.

Adam, Christy, Will, somebody should really feature this information at the Daily and archive it on-line somewhere.  And a few success stories based on Folio 21’s performance shouldn’t be hard to find.  Think of them as human interest pieces.

Information about Folio 21 can be found here.

If you have any questions, lemme know.

Best,
Mel

Deborah Chester
John Crain Presidential Professor
Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication
395 W. Lindsey Street
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4192