FYI ,

LFears

From: Poynter Institute [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:02 AM
To: RUSSELL E. SHAIN
Subject: Al's Morning Meeting - BBC's Edit of Obama's Inauguration Speech Raises Important Ethical Questions

Al's Morning Meeting

Story ideas that you can localize and enterprise. Posted by 7:30 a.m. Mon-Fri.

BBC's Edit of Obama's Inauguration Speech Raises Important Ethical Questions

The BBC's Newsnight show recently opened with what seemed like a single soundbite from President Barack Obama's inauguration speech. As it turns out, the BBC used three different parts of the inauguration speech and edited them together to create the soundbite. In listening to the audio, it's not clear that it had been edited.

After seeing the segment, the blog "Harmless Sky" raised questions about how the BBC opened its show.  The subject got picked up by a watchdog Web site called "Stinky Journalism," which contacted me for comments. This is a case that raises important ethical questions for radio and TV stations and online news sites.

Read on to find out what was wrong with this particular edit and for ethical guidelines related to audio editing.

Read the Entire Post

Posted at 6:01 AM Jan. 27, 2009

Tools: Comment , e-mail , Permalink

POYNTER GROUPS
Find and join conversations about Reporting, Writing & Editing and Online & Multimedia.

CHECK AL's
TWITTER FEED for nonstop story ideas throughout the day.

UPDATED: JOIN AL ON THE ROAD AND LIVE ONLINE

APPLY FOR BROADCAST AND ONLINE SEMINARS

SEND AL YOUR STORY IDEAS

A dozen sites
I'm diggin'

*1. Could so-called "citizen journalists" be asking for IRS trouble?

*2. Check out this free unit converter tool.

*3. Do you know what "pre-gaming" is, or why the phrase "shovel-ready" is popping up in media coverage? Learn more from Word Spy.

4. Inauguration photos posted on Flickr.

5. A very cool, brand new Bee Docs timeline generator. It was a big hit at the recent MacWorld conference.

6. Boxee, an award winner at the Consumer Electronics Show, marries TV and the Web in unique and new ways.

7. Watch this video about the Gaza tunnels to understand the story behind them.

8. How do those yellow lines get inserted in NFL coverage?

9. Why grocery inflation could ease in 2009.

10. The Urban Land Institute's commercial real estate forecast for 2009. (This is grimmer than grim.)

11. Fourteen predictions about social media in the year ahead.

12. National Public Radio's 2009 music predictions (with a little help from an astrologer/psychic.)

All of my Diggin' sites are saved on Poynter's del.icio.us page.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Al's Morning Meeting is a compendium of ideas, edited story excerpts and other materials from a variety of Web sites, as well as original concepts and analysis. When the information comes directly from another source, it will be attributed and a link will be provided whenever possible. The column is fact-checked, but depends on the accuracy and integrity of the original sources cited. We will correct errors and inaccuracies when we become aware of them.

City Governments Bailing Out Local Car Dealerships

Think of this as a Big Three bailout on a local level.

Marketplace Radio has reported that small towns across the country are helping local car dealerships that cannot get loans to keep operating.

Why would they do this? In towns such as Victorville, Calif., sales tax from car sales contributes to half of the city's sales tax income. If cars don't sell, the city, which has no property tax, could lose its tax base.

Read on to find out how the auto industry downturn has affected African Americans.

Read the Entire Post

Posted at 1:52 PM Jan. 26, 2009

Tools: Comment , e-mail , Permalink

Figuring Out When, and How, Journalists Should Use Audio Slideshows

Pity the poor, humble slideshow, lost in the sea of video and multimedia storytelling. But let's not chuck this now (gulp) older story form so fast. Sometimes, it is just the right tool. The Boston Globe's Web site recently produced a simple, quiet slideshow and audio feature that I don't think would have been as effective in the form of a video. Take a look and read what Boston.com's editor, David Beard, told me in this edited e-mail exchange:

Read on for the full interview ...

Read the Entire Post

Posted at 12:01 AM Jan. 26, 2009

Tools: Comment , e-mail , Permalink

Recent Comments:

More on audio Al, Thanks for posting. The slideshow is definitely still kicking.... More.

Read All Comments (2 comments)

Friday, January 23, 2009 Headlines

Thursday, January 22, 2009 Headlines

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 Headlines

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 Headlines

Latest Poynter Blogs (See All Blogs)

Romenesko

·                     VVM suspends publication of syndicated comics

Al's Morning Meeting

·                     BBC's Edit of Obama's Inauguration Speech Raises Important Ethical Questions

E-Media Tidbits

·                     How Do You 'Follow' 2,500 People on Twitter?

Links to the News

·                     Page One Today / Blagojevich Impeachment Trial

NewsPay

·                     Ten Tips on Managing Through a Recession

The Biz Blog

·                     Two Takes on Newspaper Journalism Lost

Writing Tools

·                     Live Chat Today: How to Cover the Super Bowl and Why

Visual Voice

·                     Inauguration Front Pages Designed for History

Diversity at Work

·                     Limited Access for People with Disabilities on Inauguration Day

Contact | FAQ | Guidelines | Corrections | Privacy | Site Map | Press | Advertise
© 1995-2009 The Poynter Institute
801 Third Street South | St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Phone (888) 769-6837 | Fax (727) 553-4680

You have received this newsletter because our records indicate you selected it. To stop delivery of this newsletter, simply click here to UNSUBSCRIBE or copy and paste the following link into your web browser:
http://www.poynter.org/sub.asp?nid=4&uid=524723

To manage your subscriptions to other newsletters, go to the Newsletters page on Poynter Online. That link should take you directly to the Newsletters page. If not, you can copy the following link into your browser:
http://www.poynter.org/profile/subscribe.asp.

You can also change your newsletter selections by logging into your Poynter Personal Page, scrolling down to My Newsletters and clicking on Edit.