This is being widely distributed because of the time factor involved to
this opportunity to make a positive difference in our community. Thanks
for your understanding.  Remember that Weight Discrimination is
perpetrated through the media and is racist, sexist, classist and
ageist.  So those interested in media, race, gender, class, health
sciences and geriatric studies, as well as other disciplines may be
interested in the following.

President-Elect Obama has a section of his Change.gov website which is
called the Citizen's Briefing Book, which states: "Share Your Ideas on
any issue facing the new administration, then rate or comment on other
ideas. The best rated ideas will be gathered into a Citizen's Briefing
Book to be delivered to President Obama after he is sworn in."

(This website was brought to my attention by Allen Steadham, Director of
the International Size Acceptance Association.  Thanks Allen!)

So I submitted the following idea, which has been well-received so far,
as it's been voted UP 90 points since about 8:30pm Central Time last
night:

http://citizensbriefingbook.change.gov/ideas/viewIdea.apexp?id=087800000
00545A

Encourage Fitness and Health But Discourage Weight Discrimination

While it is true that everyone should be active and make healthy food
choices, for too long, size (i.e. - weight-based) discrimination has hid
behind the auspices of being, ironically, in support of health. These
two issues should both be addressed in a manner which respects people as
a whole and leads to long-term solutions.

Since people of all sizes benefit from daily activity and making healthy
food choices, people who are heavier (specifically those deemed obese or
having a Body Mass Index  - BMI - of more than 30) should not be singled
out for weight loss efforts which clearly have not been effective, since
the "obesity crisis" has not been solved.

However, if the majority of the population were taught healthy food
choices from the earliest levels of education and physical education was
given proper significance in America's schools, we could create
healthier future generations. We could also be much closer to solving
the health issues created by inactivity and poor food choices.

Moreover, size- or weight-based discrimination must become illegal in
all 50 states and all U.S. territories. Only when we remove the stigma
of discrimination will people of all sizes become encouraged and
empowered to reach their full potential as citizens of this great
country. Simply put, if we want to solve the obesity crisis, we cannot
continue to allow those we wish to help, those whose health we wish to
improve and those whose burdens we do not wish to extend to the
taxpayers of this land, to be treated with anything less than the
dignity and respect meant for all citizens.

------- End of Idea Text ----

If you have a few minutes today or when you receive this email, please
sign up (for free) and vote for this idea to draw attention to both size
acceptance and the need to end size discrimination. Even if you, like
many people, are understandably cynical about politics, go ahead and do
this anyway. At the very least, if we generate enough interest about
this topic for the Incoming Administration that they have to pay
attention to it, then that will be a significant victory in itself!

If all you have to lose is a few minutes of time, then why not give it a
try, okay? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Allen Steadham

--
Allen Steadham, Director
International Size Acceptance Association

Know Justice, Know Peace,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor of Communication

ASU FSA Co-VP for Faculty, AEJMC MAC Officer

Alabama State University, 915 S. Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271 PH:334-229-6885

Thanks in advance for your research & creative activity referrals:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin

With all my  heart I want work that I love; for abundant pay; in a
beautiful, functional, comfortable environment; with/for kind,
competent, happy, supportive people who love, enjoy and appreciate me
and I they. Ashe.

Confidentiality Notice: Unless otherwise noted, this e-mail message,
including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.