I apologize for the delay in sharing Federico's message below.

Camilla

From: Federico Subervi <[log in to unmask]>
To: Camilla Gant <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: the scholarship fund
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:31:58 -0600

Hi Camilla,

I sent this message via the listserve, but I'm afraid it has not gone through.  Could you please post this on the listserve on my behalf.

My perspective on this is that the Lee Barrow scholarship fund has not been increased significantly over the years to account for inflation.
It was $1,000 back in 1980 or so when I received it.  It stayed at that same level until as Head of MAC in 1994-95, I increased it by $300-$400.
A year or two later it was cut to $1,300 (probably due to tight budgets), where, as far as I can recall, it remains today.

Just for the fun of it and to know, I just did an inflation calculation, which indicates that $1,000 when Lee started the scholarship (approximately 1978 or earlier), was equivalent to approximately $3,145.89 in 2007.

Thus, every year since the late 1970s, the Lee Barrow scholarship fund has declined, instead of increased.

Enough said.  Let's chip in as MAC, and also individually depending on our personal financial health.

Best to all.

Federico

Spam
Not spam