Dear Colleagues,

Below is an op/ed piece I wrote for the Alabama Sierra Club Monthly magazine.  I am advised they will print some version of it for the March edition but at any rate, this is the whole piece.

Know Justice, Know Peace,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor of Communication

ASU FSA Co-VP for Faculty, AEJMC MAC Officer

Alabama State University, 915 S. Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271 PH:334-229-6885

Thanks in advance for your research & creative activity referrals: http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin

With all my  heart I want work that I love; for abundant pay; in a beautiful, functional, comfortable environment; with/for kind, competent, happy, supportive people who love, enjoy and appreciate me and I they. Ashe.

Confidentiality Notice: Unless otherwise noted, this e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

The Sierra Club has for many years been dedicated to the cause of environmental justice. We also need to better promote ethnic and cultural diversity within the Club. Those minority members who we do have should feel welcomed and respected by other Club members. E-K Daufin has written the following article to encourage such respect and understanding among all Club members. She makes excellent points relative to her experiences and concerns, and we should all read and evaluate her statement honestly and with a positive attitude. We and E-K believe that virtually all of the comments that have generated E-K’s concerns were not intended as insults or criticisms, but are still offensive, even if unintentional. Some are clearly biased and bigoted racial slurs. These have no place in the Sierra Club, nor in any civilized society. Please go out of your way to make E- K and other Sierra Club members feel welcome at, and full participants in, all Sierra Club events. Making members feel welcome often has more to do with what we say after, “Welcome.”  Thank you for your serious consideration of this issue.

-          Robert W. Hastings, Chapter Co-chair

-          John Ackerman, Chapter Chair

Calling for Cultural Sensitivity in the Alabama Sierra Club

                Some Alabama Sierra Club (ASC) members have expressed their desire to increase our African American membership.  However, the Club has been an increasingly racially hostile environment for me as a visually identifiable woman of color. We must change that if we ever hope to recruit and retain more people of color.  In fact I was ready to quit myself before Bob Hastings and John Ackerman offered to help me try to improve the situation.

I am submitting a long, but not inclusive list of the racially hostile incidents I have had to face while participating in the ASC. Alone, each incident may not seem like much but cumulatively they create a brutal effect.  Each feels like a kick in the stomach to me.  Since President Barack Obama was elected, the number of racist remarks from ASC members has escalated alarmingly. (Please remember too that even if you voted for President Obama you may still unintentionally hold and espouse racist views.)

More important than the list of offensive incidents and making sure you don’t do those things to me or any other person of color, are doing few things to make the ASC a less hostile environment for African Americans and Latinos.  I am not a spokesperson for all Black people but I am a professor of communication, a nationally published author on these issues (including the Los Angeles Times Sunday Op-Ed page, Essence magazine, other book, journal, magazine articles, radio and television interviews, etc.) and a visionary activist for social justice.  I have also done extensive race, gender and size equity consulting.  Those who may unwittingly offend other Sierra Club members of color will want to consider the following:

1.       Don’t say to me, or anyone else at an ASC event, anything you would not feel comfortable walking into a large group of African American people and yelling at the top of your lungs.

2.       Don’t assume that I (even after authoring this article) or any other person of color, would want to discuss race with you.  None of us are your free race equity coach, always ready to serve you.  Questions of race relations are uncomfortable for us all to discuss but studies show that African Americans are physiologically more negatively affected than White people in these discussions.  I have often felt physically nauseous and anxious in ASC gatherings when I’ve had to deal with racially insensitive members.

3.       Do get some on-going cultural sensitivity training. It didn’t take one book or workshop to develop erroneous assumptions about African Americans, so don’t expect one book or workshop to solve the problem.  Reading the extremely mild, middle-of-the-road, Dr. Cornel West’s Race Matters may be an accessible place to start. (http://www.amazon.com/Race-Matters-Cornel-West/dp/0679749861)

4.       Do read a great booklet called Cultural Etiquette: A Guide for the Well-Intentioned by Amoja Three Rivers.  Pay special attention to the sections titled: “For Your Information” and “Just Don’t Do This. Okay?”  Accept and internalize what you find there.  It includes information such as: “Reverse racism’ within the context of present society, is a contradiction in terms,” and, “It’s not a compliment to tell someone: I don’t think of you as Jewish, or Black, etc.” http://www.amazon.com/Cultural-Etiquette-Amoja-Three-Rivers/dp/B0006DJSVI

5.       DON’T argue with an African American or Latino if she or he tells you that you’ve said something racist or culturally insensitive. Do APOLOGIZE and say what you’ll do to avoid doing that in the future.

6.       Do read the Huffington Post article by a White, bestselling author, former Right Wing Republican and a founder of the Religious Right Frank Schaeffer titled, “Obama Will Be One of The Greatest (and Most Loved) American Presidents.”  Though the author is White, the article might give you just a little taste of what President Obama’s election means to most African Americans. www.huffingtonpost.com/frank-schaeffer/why-this-former-right-win_b_84709.html

7.       Do search for and read books about African American women’s traumatic experiences with their naturally kinky hair before you say anything about any Black woman’s hair.  My chapter, “What I Dreaded,” and other’s about being a Black woman with kinky hair in, Children of the Dream: Our Own Stories of Growing Up Black in America, may be a place to start. http://www.amazon.com/Children-Dream-Stories-Growing-Conflict/dp/0671008064

8.       Do immediately SAY something, if you hear any ASC member (especially a conference speaker) say something racially or culturally insensitive.  Respectfully but clearly say that that kind of talk is NOT okay with you.  Keeping silent and even going to support the person of color privately later is of no help whatsoever and only encourages the offender.

If you will do these things and continue to work on them, whether you think you need to or not, you will be contributing to the hope that we can change the ASC into a welcoming, supportive environment for people of color who care about the environment.

Here’s a list of some things insensitive ASC members have been willing to say to my face or in my close proximity.  Usually worse is said and done when there are not visually identifiable Black folks around.

Just don’t do these things. Okay?