http://www.mediaed.org/wp/clip-of-the-month

This is a link for a short excerpt of the new documentary, Beauty Mark:
Body Image & the Race for Perfection Educational Edition.  It explores
the questions, "How do our families influence our relationship with our
own bodies? How do American media standards of beauty get inside our
hearts and heads? In what ways can sport and the drive for fitness
actually make us sick rather than healthy? "  What it doesn't explore
but what is true is that many African American women obsessively
exercise and starvation diet but because we come from those who survived
slavery (obsessive forced exercise on a starvation diet) we may do great
damage to our bodies but never look like the skin and bones White
brothers and sisters we see in this documentary and are thus
unidentified, unhelped and urged by judgemental others to eat even less
and exercise even more.

Of interest to media, health sciences, athletics, physical education,
psychology, social work humanities, women's studies,

For additional resources and information, visit the film's website:
www.beautymarkmovie.com

Sections: Introduction | Racing Her Heart Out | A Distorted Mindset |
Mayhem | Searching for Beauty | Re-Imagining Beauty | Going Home

Know Justice, Know Peace,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor of Communication

ASU FSA Co-VP for Faculty, AEJMC MAC Officer

Alabama State University, 915 S. Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271 PH:334-229-6885

Thanks in advance for your research & creative activity referrals:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin

With all my  heart I want work that I love; for abundant pay; in a
beautiful, functional, comfortable environment; with/for kind,
competent, happy, supportive people who love, enjoy and appreciate me
and I they. Ashe.

Confidentiality Notice: Unless otherwise noted, this e-mail message,
including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.