From: Jan Strout [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Soros Social Justice Fellowships]

Don't miss this great opportunity!
Jan Strout
Co-director, Reclaim the Media
www.reclaimthemedia.org<http://www.reclaimthemedia.org>
206.251.0880

Just in case you might be interested in applying - or might know

someone else who is interested. Check out the details at

  http://www.soros.org/initiatives/usprograms/focus/justice/programs/justice_fellows

The Soros Justice Fellowships fund outstanding individuals to implement

innovative projects that advance the Open Society Institute's criminal

justice reform priorities in the Unites States.  This year, fellowship

applications are due on Wednesday, October 14.  Whether you forward

this information to particular individuals whom you think would be

promising candidates or circulate it more generally, we trust that

there are advocates, activists, journalists, researchers, and others

with distinctive and important voices within your networks who would

benefit from this opportunity.

Fellows receive funding through the following two categories:

Media

Soros Justice Media Fellowships support writers, print and broadcast

journalists, bloggers, filmmakers, and other individuals with

distinctive voices proposing to complete media projects for local,

regional, and national markets that will engage the public and provoke

policy responses to one or more of OSI's U.S. criminal justice

priorities.  Media Fellowships are 12 months in duration and come with

a stipend of $45,000.

Advocacy

Soros Justice Advocacy Fellowships fund outstanding

individualsâ€"including lawyers, advocates, grassroots organizers,

activist academics, and others with important persp

ectivesâ€"to

initiate innovative policy advocacy projects at the local, state, and

national levels that will have a measurable impact on one or more of

OSI’s

 U.S. criminal justice priorities.  Advocacy Fellowships,which

have application tracks for both emerging leaders as well as for those

with more established records of achievement, are 18 months in duration

and come with a stipend ranging from $75,000 - $105,000.

_____________________________

*  *  *  *  *  *  *

Nan Rubin

Community Media Services

4700 Broadway #2J

NYC NY  USA 10040

212-569-3391

  www.nanrubin.com<http://www.nanrubin.com>

"The first hurdle is the people who

will not accept the change that's already

happened." -- Joss Whedon

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----