Well, gang, Hawaii won this year's contest and will receive 50,000
donated books to distribute to children in need.  Oklahoma came in 4th
this year.  Our state has won in the past, and I hope next year you
will check the First Book Web site from time to time so you can vote
for your state and share with others about the book that first got you
hooked on reading.

Keep in mind that these kids need help in getting started reading.
They are your future fans!

DC

Begin forwarded message:

> From: First Book <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: October 27, 2009 5:40:39 PM CDT
> To: "Chester, Deborah A." <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: First Book E-News: Experience the Algonquin Round Table
>
> Having trouble viewing this email? View a web version.
>

> October 2009
> KPMG's Family for Literacy – 1 Million Book Milestone
> Wake Up to Reading with Cheerios
> Join the Cheerios 100,000 Book Giveaway
> KPMG's Family for Literacy – 1 Million Book Milestone
> Renowned children's author and creator of the recent Goosebumps
> HorrorLandbooks, R.L. Stine will join First Book to celebrate the
> distribution of the one millionth book made possible by KPMG's
> Family for Literacy. Just in time for Stine's favorite holiday, the
> Halloween celebration will occur at a school in Harlem where Stine
> will note that nothing scares him more than the thought of kids
> growing up without books.
>
> Thanks to generous contributions of funding and volunteer time by
> KPMG partners, staff, their families and friends, First Book has
> been able to reach tens of thousands of children with wonderful new
> books over the course of the two-year collaboration. First Book is
> especially grateful to Susan Flynn and Beth Veihmeyer who helped
> originate KPMG's Family for Literacy which has quickly proven to be
> an innovative model for engaging partners, employees, alumni,
> retirees, and interns in a shared cause that benefits the
> educational needs of children in need in KPMG communities nationwide.
>
> Wake Up to Reading
> This month, Cheerios® is launching its 8th year of inviting families
> to wake up to reading – with a whopping six million children's books
> free inside cereal boxes.
>
> This year's books, all from Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
> and specially printed in both English and Spanish, are Tea for Ruby,
> Ballyhoo Bay, What's Under the Bed?,Sleepyhead and Junkyard Fort – a
> brand new "Trucktown" book available only in Cheerios boxes. Over
> the past eight years, Cheerios has distributed more than 40 million
> books inside boxes and donated $3.2 million to First Book.
>
> Join the 100,000 Book Giveaway
> But wait, there's more!  First Book and the family of Cheerios
> cereals have teamed up with Jon Scieszka, author ofJunkyard Fort and
> the current National Ambassador for Young People's Literature, to
> help distribute 100,000 books to children in need across the
> country. By answering the trivia questions featured in the
> challenge, you can help select the states that will receive new
> books for local kids. Visit www.firstbook.org/scieszka today to be a
> part of the 100,000 Book Giveaway!
>
> To learn more about the Spoonfuls of Stories program, please visit
> the First Book Blog.
>

> Experience the Algonquin Round Table
> Join First Book at the Second Annual Book Bash
> Hawaii is Hooked on Books and Your Top 25
> First Book and Neiman Marcus Offer the Algonquin Round Table
> [...]

Deborah Chester
John Crain Presidential Professor
Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication
395 W. Lindsey Street
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4192