This sounds interesting, although I don't really understand what the fuss is about.
What does this mean?  "... Harlequin's standard practice of referring rejected authors to its affiliated for-pay critique services and other integration issues."

Jocelyn Pedersen

From: PWA Inside Talk [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Deborah Chester [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 8:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Harlequin slapped

Good morning, busy fellow writers (many of you with novel mss due) --

Mystery Writers of America is removing Harlequin Books from its list of approved publishers.  That means any writer published by Harlequin in the future is not eligible for membership in MWA and cannot be eligible for the prestigious Edgar award.

MWA's decision is due largely to Harlequin's standard practice of referring rejected authors to its affiliated for-pay critique services and other integration issues.

I don't know yet whether Science Fiction Writers of America intends to follow suit, but I will try to keep you informed.

Meanwhile, write on!
DC

Deborah Chester
John Crain Presidential Professor
Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication
395 W. Lindsey Street
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4192