Ida B. Wells Lecture Series

Co-Sponsored by: The Alabama State University Department of Communication, The ASU Black History Month Committee and the Minorities And Communication Division of the AEJMC

2/18/10

Free & Open to the Public

11 a.m. to 12: 15

Buskey Building Auditorium

Campus of Alabama State University

Speaker: Michael Briddell

Director, Public Information and External Affairs for the City of Montgomery

Title: Diversity in the 21st Century Newsroom

Description:   A road map to success for journalists of color.  Navigating an ever-changing industry, while serving yourself, your community and your audience at-large.

Speaker Bio:

            Michael Briddell is the Director of Public Information and External Affairs for the City of Montgomery.   His employment by the City began in November 2004 as executive assistant to the Mayor.  In his current position he oversees public relations and constituent services for Montgomery and has management oversight of the City's library, zoo, museum of fine arts and food services departments.

            Prior to joining the City of Montgomery, Briddell had a 20 year career in broadcast journalism.  For five years he was an anchor for WSFA-TV's top-rated 5 p.m. newscast; while also serving as a reporter.  During his tenure at the station he developed the "Education Report," a nightly story on education-related matters.

            Briddell's TV news career included stops in Ohio, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Mississippi and Pennsylvania.

            A native of Philadelphia, Briddell graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelor's of Science degree in Communications Media.  He conducted his internship at CBS Network News in New York City.

            Briddell serves on numerous Advisory Boards and Boards of Directors and is a tutor with Montgomery's Partners in Education program.

He is a life member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity and a graduate of Leadership Montgomery Class XXII.

He and his wife have been married 20 years; they have one daughter.

Know Justice, Know Peace,

Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin, Professor of Communication

National Media Weight Discrimination Expert

AEJMC MAC Divison Membership Chair

ASU Faculty/Staff Alliance - AFT/AFL-CIO, Co VP for Faculty

Alabama State University

915 South Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271

Thanks in advance for your research and creative activity referrals: www.loveyourbodyloveyourself.vox.com

With all my heart I want fulfilling work, for abundant pay, in a beautiful, functional environment, working with and for only talented, loving, cooperative, generous people who appreciate and respect me and I they. Ashe!