Colleagues, Here’s what the AEJMC website says about this council: “The AEJMC President’s Advisory Council allows the association’s president to weigh in on important issues that are central to the association’s mission. A three-member subcommittee of the Standing Committee of Professional Freedom and Responsibility helps inform and advise the president of important issues. Members of the Council include AEJMC President,  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Carol Pardun, University of South Carolina, and:

*	 <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Marie Hardin, Pennsylvania State University
*	 <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Paul Lester, California State University-Fullerton
*	 <mailto:[log in to unmask]> Julianne Newton, University of Oregon”

As a two-term member of PF&R, I guess I missed the process of selecting this subcommittee. I’ll have to check my notes from the Boston meeting.

“If the Council feels that an issue merits comment, the group may discuss it, using the mission statement as a guide, and the president will decide whether a statement is merited. Requests for participation of the president on behalf of the membership may also come from any AEJMC constituents, including but not limited to individual members, officers, interest groups, divisions, standing committees, taskforces or the various members of the Council of Affiliates. Those requests should be made by email or letter, addressed to the sitting president.

A record of the president’s public statements and appearances – whether in interviews, by press release, in written form or press conference – will be archived by the AEJMC central office and may be found in the general news release section at  <http://aejmc.org/topics/newsroom> aejmc.org/topics/newsroom.

The President’s Advisory Council is an AEJMC Strategic Planning Initiative, and was  <http://aejmc.org/topics/newsroom/2009/08/aejmc-endorses-creation-of-issues-advisory-council/> endorsed by the AEJMC membership at the Boston Business Meeting, August 7, 2009”

Here is one possible way we can respond—through a resolution: “Any AEJMC member can propose a resolution, and each year the Resolutions Committee of the Professional Freedom and Responsibility Committee shepherds resolutions submitted by AEJMC members or divisions and interest groups to the floor of the business meeting.”

Perhaps MAC & CSM can author a joint resolution. Perhaps we can solicit support from other divisions. Whatever we do or however we chose to respond is fine with me. Let’s not let this go without comment.

Once again, here are the four topics of PAC “comments”:

06/07/10 –  <http://aejmc.org/topics/2010/06/aejmc-obamas-promised-change-lacks-transparency/> AEJMC: Obama’s Promised “Change” Lacks Transparency
01/26/10 –  <http://aejmc.org/topics/2010/01/aejmc-supports-net-neutrality/> AEJMC Supports Net Neutrality
11/03/09 –  <http://aejmc.org/topics/2009/11/students-investigate-old-conviction-prosecutor-investigates-students-aejmc-urges-subpoena-quash/> Prosecutors Investigate Students; AEJMC Urges Subpoena Quash
10/07/09 –  <http://aejmc.org/topics/2009/10/aejmc-supports-free-flow-of-information-act/> AEJMC Supports Free Flow of Information Act

Lastly, in one of my  previous posts, I  mistakenly typed “Baltimore” instead of  “Boston” as the site of last year’s convention—I was there and should have proofread more carefully.

Dwight

Dwight E. Brooks, Ph.D.

Professor and Director

School of Journalism