Hello friends,

I hoped the launch of our new website would be of interest to some of you. Please do forward it on to anyone you think may be interested!

Thanks and warm wishes!

Tanya

---

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.

18th June 2010

10 tactics for turning information into action embraced by thousands of rights advocates

The documentary 10 tactics for turning information into action, produced by Tactical Tech and launched in December 2009, has been screened at over 100 events by NGOs, rights advocates and independent media, reaching 5155 people.

10 Tactics provides original and artful ways for rights advocates to capture attention and communicate a cause. It includes a 50-minute film documenting stories from around the world and a set of cards; with tools, tips and advice, for you to work through as you plan your own info-activism.

With the launch of a new website this week, 10 Tactics is reaching out to a wider audience, including groups and areas where language barriers have previously been a problem. The film can now be watched online with a choice of 25 language subtitle options including Russian, Japanese, Chinese, French, Spanish, Arabic and Hindi with the facility for users to create subtitles in their own languages. Tactical Tech also welcomes those who want to replicate the 10 Tactics website, with all its content, in their own languages. In fact, Spanish, Arabic and Burmese versions of the website are on their way.

The project lead, Tanya Notley, said “we have realised the value of placing inspiration and demystification at the centre of our resources because this opens up the conversation about how technology can be used for rights advocacy. This project has now gained momentum as enthusiastic volunteers have contributed by translating and screening the film and by hosting discussions and debates around it."

After seeing the film, a group of young climate action activists in Nepal were inspired to use 10 Tactics to develop new climate campaigns; in Tijuana the 10 Tactics screening led to discussions with the Human Rights Commission on how they can support rights violation monitoring. Executive Director, Stephanie Hankey says; “We are thrilled with the success of the film and the feedback that we are getting. This film is really valued for its inspirational effect and the diversity of seeing so many amazing activists from all over the world using new technologies to turn information into action. We're going to continue to support others hosting screenings throughout the year”.

The 50-minute documentary, and accompanying resource materials, feature 35 grassroots info-activism stories told by advocates from 24 different countries.

For more information or to view/download/screen the content, visit the 10 Tactics project at www.informationactivism.org/, or email us at [log in to unmask].

Dr. Tanya Notley
Info-activism Programme Lead
Tactical Technology Collective