Hi Dee,

Yes, indeed. I started teaching online using a combination of a basic website and a virtual classroom about 10 years ago. Rather early on in online learning, I realized that developing a full-blown website was prohibitively time-consuming and simply an exercise in futility since updating it in a timely fashion became a virtual impossibility. I also realized that teaching online asynchronously was... well, boring. I missed the spontaneous debating, the back 'n forth, the warmth of verbal contact that had mad eme become a university professor in the first place. So I lessened my dependance on asynch and added the synch classroom and have never looked back. I now teach graduate courses only and I get the chance to work with highly-motivated students from across the country and even overseas. They are all present and accounted for, every Tuesday afternoon from 4:30 to 7:30 PM with a 20-minute break in the middle, just like on-campus. Students tell me that the much-vaunted 24/7 online course ends up being 0/0 since, for some reason or another, they say they never seem to get around to doing the work required in an online course. They say they feel isolated and unmotivated.

In a nutshell, I try to run my seminar just as I would on campus. Students do have some individual work to do before class - reading - but they tend to do it because they also have a team assignment that requires they do it. The peer commitment seems to make it all work in that they come to class prepared to debate, discuss and examine concepts and principles embedded in the readings and discussed within their teams, in either synch or asynch mode.

I've added some references below for your perusal.

Michael

@@@@@@@@
Dr. Michael Power
Professor & Programs Director - Educational Technology
Faculty of Education - Université Laval
Founder of
www.bold-research.org Research Network
Director of Research