I originally sent this email to Dr. Dates, but it may be worth injecting
into the general discussion...

--- Psmith

--- On *Wed, 7/21/10, Patricia Smith <[log in to unmask]>* wrote:

From: Patricia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Shameful, unacceptable
To: " Jannette L.Dates" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, July 21, 2010, 1:14 PM

Hello Dr. Dates,

I'm just a student. But, I taught a Minorities in Media course this summer
where we examined the criteria that must be met to hold a U.S. broadcasting
license. We had a small discussion on how a challenge to FOX's license
renewal would read if it were based on the requirement to "serve the public
good." Though it would be largely symbolic (as I understand, it doesn't
happen much), couldn't we pen an actual challenge to FOX's license renewal
and submit it to the FCC? Like I said, it would be symbolic, but potentially
visible in the media.

For that matter, I would consider filing an FCC challenge to all major news
media outlets' licenses (on "serving the public good") as a collective
indictment of their failure to uphold journalistic standards; a journalism
profession "call to action," so to speak.

Just a thought.

Patricia Smith
Louisiana State University