FYI--

Colleagues:
Ball State has had an unexpected vacancy in the news-editorial sequence.  We had hired someone in March to take

this tenure-track position, who announced yesterday she is not taking it.  Things are still up in the air at this point. It

is likely we will hire someone for a one-year contract who will then be eligible for the permanent tenure-track position.

But there is a chance we could hire someone before August for the permanent tenure-track position.

If you know of anyone interested, please tell them to email Mary Spillman, who is the news-editorial coordinator.

Her e-mail is [log in to unmask]  She is working with the department chairperson and dean to make

plans to fill the position.

We are happy to announce a new chairperson for the department, Dr. William J. Willis who officially starts the

job tomorrow, but I just came from a committee meeting with him.  Jim comes to us from

Azusa Pacific University in California where he was a department chair.  He has also been chair of the Dept. of Journalism at

Boston College.  He has a Ph.D. from Missouri and was a Ball State faculty member in the early 1990s.

We are very happy he has returned.  He replaces Marilyn Weaver who has retired after 13 years in the job.

David

David E. Sumner, Ph.D.

Professor of Journalism, AJ391

Ball State University