E.K.
On occasion (especially with my freshmen-level 100 or 200-level classes), I'll do a "syllabus quiz" on the second day of the class just to see if they have at least read through the syllabus and know what is expected.   It counts primarily as a short in-class assignment.  I'll usually do 5 quick questions (i.e. how many tests?   What are the two major assignments?   How many absences are allowed without penalty? What is the policy on late assignments?  How many textbooks are required for this course?)

This rewards students who showed up for class on the first day, it communicates to those "late arrivals" that they need to catch up.   This is one of maybe 15+ short in-class assignments I'll make during the term.  All of my in-class short assignments together are usually 15% of the final grade.

George