Thanks for this article Jim!  I just got the news this a. m. at Fall graduation that the dean’s committee had overturned the D I gave to a student who wanted to graduate who I think is functionally illiterate.  I gave 600 points extra credit in a 1,000 point class and she still earned only 622 points.   I’ve asked on what grounds the committee found the grade to be “unfair” and said I miss the good old days when my chair would just change the grades of students who complained without notifying me, versus forcing me into depressing, time consuming multiple meetings where I have to “defend” my grading and myself from the faculty presumed guilt.  We are doing a grand disservice to our students who need more help by passing them along but I’m afraid being the only one who doesn’t just buys me more grief and doesn’t wind up helping anyone.  Virtually all our students are too poor to pay a shadow scholar but obviously they don’t have to….May the waxing light of the sun find us all in a better place!  Happy Holidays colleagues …no matter what!

Know Justice; Know Peace,

Rev. Dr. E-K Daufin

Professor of Communication

Media & Society Size Equity Expert

ASU FSA/AFT Co-VP for Faculty

AEJMC MAC Membership Chair

Alabama State University

915 S. Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271

(334) 229-6885

www.home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin

Your research and creative activity referrals are welcomed.

With all my heart I want to work with and for kind, competent, strong people who love and help me and I they.  Ashe!