With apologies for cross posting:

AMARC Denounces killing of Dr Gerardo Ortega in the Philippines

January 26, 2011, Kathmandu. The World Association of Community Radio
Broadcasters (AMARC) condemns the killing of another broadcaster in the
Philippines, Dr Gerardo Ortega of dwAR-AM of Puerto Princesa, Palawan
Province last January 24, 2011.

We are extremely saddened by the senseless assassination of another
Philippine colleague and we express our deepest sympathies to Dr Ortega's
family, colleagues and friends.  Dr Ortega, according to testimonies by
AMARC members in the Philippines, showed early in life his desire for
genuine and pro-people change in the Philippines.  In college, he was a
member of the nationalist League of Filipino Students and, as a broadcaster,
was a staunch defender of the environment against destructive mining that
marginalizes indigenous peoples and his beloved province, Palawan.

AMARC is fully aware of the sad "body count" of slain journalists in the
Philippines.  Dr Ortega is the third to have offered his life for pro-people
journalism under the Benigno Aquino administration and the 142nd since the
country was supposed to have regained democracy in 1986.

AMARC expresses alarm over the unabated killing of journalists and calls
upon the new government to put a stop to them and deliver justice to all the
victims.  During its 10th World Conference in La Plata, Argentina last
November, AMARC unanimously approved a resolution calling for such and it is
most unfortunate that our appeals are unheeded
(http://amarc10.amarc.org/index.php?p=amarc10_workshop
<http://amarc10.amarc.org/index.php?p=amarc10_workshop&l=EN> &l=EN.)

As we call for justice for Dr Ortega, we again call on the Philippine
government to stop the killings of journalists, deliver justice to the
victims, and provide a democratic atmosphere where freedom of the press is
guaranteed. AMARC will remain vigilant over the culture of impunity reigning
darkly over the Philippines.

-END-

About AMARC:

AMARC is an international non-governmental organization serving the
community radio movement in over 110 countries, and advocating for the right
to communicate at the international, national, local and neighbourhood
levels. AMARC has an International Secretariat in Montreal. It has regional
sections in Africa, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, North America and
Asia Pacific and offices in Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, Brussels, and
Kathmandu. For more information, please contact Suman Basnet, Regional
Coordinator for Asia-Pacific, [log in to unmask] or visit
www.asiapacific.amarc.org.

Suman Basnet

Regional Coordinator

AMARC Asia Pacific