Dear MACers, you’ve probably seen the AEJ request below.  Let’s make sure some racial minority issues at least get a chance to get voted on.  Please post to the list what you think the AEJMAC ideas are and ask members who agree to also send it to Janice Hume at the hotlink below.

I think one of the big ideas is bell hooks’ Black Looks/media criticism model of identifying and transforming white supremacy, patriarchy and capitalism in the media and transforming it.   Other ideas?  Please send them to Janice Hume AND post with Janice Hume’s email link below.

– E-K.

What's the Big Idea?: In Search of AEJMC's Top 10 Ideas

Help us celebrate an important part of the AEJMC mission, to "cultivate the widest possible range of communication research."

For 100 years the AEJMC has explored some BIG IDEAS in journalism and mass communication. Agenda setting, diffusion of innovation, knowledge gap, uses and grats are just a few of the hundreds presented through the years. Out of all of these, what is your favorite media theory? What are the ideas that have stood the test of time, generated the most research buzz, or made the biggest impact?

We'd like you to identify an important idea that originated, has been developed, or has simply gotten a hearing at AEJMC conferences. We're asking for nominations prior to an online election to pick the top 10.

The top 10 ideas will be included with a souvenir coffee mug that will be distributed at the AEJMC Centennial kick-off celebration in Chicago, 2012.

This is just for fun, a celebration of some of the BIG IDEAS that the AEJMC and we have spent careers exploring and explaining!

Submission Details:

Submit to: Janice Hume, Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication University of Georgia. Send your nomination(s) with a one-to-two sentence explanation.

Deadline: October 15, 2011

Know Justice; Know Peace,

Rev. Dr. E-K Daufin

Professor of Communication

Media & Society Size Equity National Expert

AEJMC MAC Membership Chair

Alabama State University

915 S. Jackson St.

Montgomery, AL 36101-0271

(334) 229-6885

www.home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin

Your research and creative activity referrals are welcomed.

With all my heart I want to work with and for kind, competent, strong people who love and help me and I they.  Ashe!