Bill Moyers speaking on Oklahoma City University Campus on Wednesday, Oct. 26, Freede Center, 7:30 PM, open free to all.

THE TRUTH OF YOUR LIFE

If journalism is
indeed a sacred calling, then few men are more qualified to be its high priest
than Bill Moyers.  In an age of shallow,
hyper-partisan entertainment formats that pass for news, one voice has never wavered
in service to the highest aim of a journalist: to find and speak the truth.
Born in Oklahoma in 1934, Bill Moyers began his journalism career at age 16 as
a cub reporter on the Marshall News Messenger, served as press secretary to
Lyndon Johnson, and went on to establish Public Affairs Television in
1986.  The winner of more than 30 Emmy
Awards, Moyers has produced some of the finest documentaries ever seen on
public television, and has interviewed some of the most important thinkers in
the world, from Joseph Campbell on the power of myth, to Elie Wiesel on the
power of evil.  His candid work on death
and dying, addiction, and myriad threats to our democracy include a body of
work that is without equal in public broadcasting.  Like a canary in the journalistic coal mine,
Bill Moyers refuses to go quietly into retirement without telling the biggest
story of our time: that we have lost any semblance of an independent press, and
have largely sold our democracy to the highest bidder. The good news is that
Bill Moyers will be back next year with a new program on American Public Television,
entitled, Moyers and Company.

On this evening,
Moyers will reflect on the case for and against optimism in a world where
everything that's tied down is coming loose and the only hero who can save us
is right there in the mirror, staring back at you. After almost half a century
in broadcast journalism, the PBS veteran
is known for seeing the world as it is, without rose-colored glasses,
even as he imagines a more confident future.

Audra Plummer  M. Ed.National Board Certified TeacherCo-Director of InserviceOklahoma Writing ProjectUniversity of OklahomaJeannine Rainbolt College of Education338 Cate Center Drive, Room 190Norman, Oklahoma 73019Phone: 405-401-1348
FAX: 405-325-7841http://owp.ou.edu
Teachers Teaching Teachers