-----"FOR THE MINORITIES AND COMMUNICATION DIV. OF AEJMC" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: -----
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Kathleen Fearn <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "FOR THE MINORITIES AND COMMUNICATION DIV. OF AEJMC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 10/14/2011 04:26PM
Subject: Re: SEEKING OPINIONS ON "THE HELP" ==>White-Authored Narratives of Black Life

She stereotyped black men by having them absent from the picture.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 14, 2011, at 1:59 PM, Mia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

As an African-American woman who saw the movie, I was upset and ready to walk out at first, but as I sat through the movie, I saw some value. I didn't see white people as saviors at all. From a religious perspective, I saw God's hands in the mix. It was fitting for the lady who made her maid use the outhouse to have surprises planted on her lip, in her pie and delivered to her lawn. As I told one of my white colleagues, it's an example of how we don't have to fight our battles alone.

God helps! I was deeply saddened and hurt by how white women neglected their children, homes and families. It is a side we rarely see in movies. People need to know it exists.

 Black men were absent from the movie for a reason. She did not want to further stereotype them. The one portrayal she includes of black men is to emphasize the desperation maids felt, the need to work ( as if we didn't already know).

My view may not be the popular one for this listserve, but it is my honest opinion.

Mia Moody-Ramirez
Sent from my iPhone