Dear Community Radio Colleagues-  (Spanish, French follow...)

The first community radio station in Malaysia, Bario Radio, in the remote
central highlands of Borneo, has had it's technical sign on, and is expecting
to start regular community-based radio programming soon!

I will catch up with the British team from RadioActive one week from today.

If you would like to be on our update list, via TravelPod, please respond ASAP.
It will be easier to manage lists, etc. while still here in the States. Internet connectivity
is still spotty in the "Heart of Borneo" region.
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/austinairwaves/6/1319843013/tpod.html

Latest from Bario, Borneo
Jim- Good to hear from you.
> We are here in Bario - the radio is now on broadcasting a test transmission and all is going well so far! <
We have pretty reasonable internet here during the day, which has been great. It can get cold in the evenings so definitely bring a warm top and a raincoat and mosquito spray (not too many mosquitoes here though).
Max, RadioActive, Bario, Borneo

Thank you,
jim ellinger
Austin Airwaves Borneo Project
http://www.austinairwavesborneoproject.com/
previously on Austin Airwaves...
http://www.austinairwaveshaitiproject.com/

Estimados colegas de la radio de la comunidad
La primera estación de radio de la comunidad en Malasia, Radio de Bario, en el telecontrol las montañas centrales de Borneo, han tenido it' la muestra técnica de s encendido, y está esperando ¡para comenzar la radio basada en la Comunidad regular a programar pronto! Alcanzaré el equipo británico a partir de la una semana radiactiva de hoy. Si usted quisiera estar en nuestra lista de la actualización, vía TravelPod, por favor responda CUANTO ANTES. Será más fácil manejar listas, el etc. mientras que aún aquí en los estados. La conectividad del Internet es todavía manchada en la región.

Chers collègues de radio de la Communauté
La première station de radio de la communauté en Malaisie, Radio de Bario, dans l'extérieur les montagnes centrales du Bornéo, a eu it' ; s technique se connectent, et prévoient pour commencer la radio à caractère communautaire régulière programmer bientôt ! Je rattraperai avec l'équipe britannique de l'une semaine radioactive d'aujourd'hui. Si vous voudriez être sur notre liste de mise à jour, par l'intermédiaire de TravelPod, svp répondez AUSSITÔT QUE POSSIBLE. Il sera plus facile de contrôler des listes, etc. tandis que toujours ici dans les états. La connectivité d'Internet est encore tachetée dans la région.

Malaysia Gets Its First Community Radio Station

September 26, 2011, Kathmandu. Bario Radio, the first community radio in Malaysia, will broadcast in the Kelabit language from November 2011. The non-profit radio station will be managed by eBario Sdn Bhd, the operator of the award-winning eBario rural tele-centre.

On September 21, 2011, The Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (Unimas) organized a dialogue in Miri to discuss the station’s policies and practices. The discussion was participated by the promoters and supporters of Bario radio from Bario and Miri. The World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters, AMARC was represented by Suman Basnet, Regional Coordinator for Asia-Pacific. Suman spoke about the state of community radio in Asia Pacific with focus on best practices and challenges. The dialogue was aimed at stimulating public debate among the stakeholders on policy formulations and related practices that would allow further applications of community radio stations in Malaysia. It aimed at initiating a momentum for the wider deployment of community radio stations in Malaysia as a means of achieving the national development goals.

According to Unimas Institute of Social Informatics and Technological Innovations Director Professor Alvin Yeo, the station would reach out to people in remote areas in Sarawak, initially around Bario. Speaking in the discussions, Professor Ye mentioned that the Bario community radio would create awareness among policymakers on the need of Malaysia’s indigenous people, particularly the Kelabits, to have their own media to overcome their vulnerability and marginalization. “The dialogue will raise awareness and understanding of guidelines for implementation among potential adopters of community radio stations,” said Yeo.

Bario Radio has received support for initial establishment from the International Fund for Agriculture Development and Centre of Excellence for Rural Informatics. The station  will mainly broadcast in the Kelabit language and will be managed by community volunteers. The license to broadcast to Bario Radio was granted under a new policy by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

Please visit http://www.ebario.org/ for further information.

AMARC is an international non-governmental organization serving the community radio movement in over 110 countries, and advocating for the right to communicate at the international, national, local and neighbourhood levels. AMARC has an International Secretariat in Montreal. It has regional sections in Africa, Latin America and Asia Pacific and offices in Johannesburg, Buenos Aires, Brussels, and Kathmandu. For more information, please contact Suman Basnet, Regional Coordinator for Asia-Pacific, [log in to unmask] or visit www.asiapacific.amarc.org.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">