FYI ...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Bosse <[log in to unmask]>
Date: October 10, 2011 12:09:55 PM CDT
To: <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Write Club Open Mic Reading Series -- of interest to Professional Writing Students!

Dear Professional Writing Students and Faculty:

I work with a student group called Write Club to coordinate creative-writing workshops and an open mic reading series for fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction. Please see the attached flier for more information about our series. I write today to invite Professional Writing majors to join us for the Write Club Open Mic, in general, and this Thursday in particular.

Novelist Tim Tharp will be our featured reader on Thursday. His young-adult novel The Spectacular Now was a 2008 National Book Award finalist. His previous novel, Knights of the Hill Country, was named among the American Library Association's Best Books of the Year and won the Oklahoma Book Award. You can read more about Tim Tharp and his other books here

Our open mic series offers Professional Writing students (and others, of course) a chance gather experience reading original work to an audience. We gather every other Thursday at Cafe Plaid. Sign-up starts at 7:00, and readings begin at 7:15.Our turnout ranges from 35 to 60 people, and we have an enthusiastic audience. Readers can read one or two stories or poems, up to about seven minutes. We have a lot of fun, and it's great practice for those who plan to pursue writing as a career.

Please pass this along. We'd love to see you there on Thursday!

Eric Bosse
Lecturer
Expository Writing Program