Greetings, fellow writers --
Here's a chance to hear and perhaps meet a successful novelist. It's a great opportunity. I hope you can take advantage of it.

DC

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Landers, Thomas L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: October 20, 2011 4:43:40 PM CDT
To: "Landers, Thomas L." <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: College of Engineering invites you to hear best-selling novelist on Oct. 31

Dear Journalism Colleagues,

I know everyone is busy with the important business of the fall semester, but I want to extend a personal invitation to you to attend the upcoming Sam Wilson Lecture scheduled for October 31.  We are excited about bringing Paul McEuen back to campus. He graduated from OU with his B.S. in Engineering Physics in 1985. He teaches physics at Cornell, but has also recently published a best-selling novel, Spiral. The movie rights have already been sold.

I hope you will be able to attend the 3:00 p.m. lecture and reception, conveniently located in your building's auditorium. Because of your expertise in journalism and mass communication, I thought you might find it of particular interest. Please feel free to forward to your students. Additional information can be found on the attached flier and listed below:

Thank you,

Tom Landers
Dean and AT&T Chair
OU College of Engineering

Presenting

Paul McEuen
Goldwin Smith Professor of Physics
Director, Kavli Institute at Cornell for Nanoscale Science
 Cornell University

Paul McEuen (born in Oklahoma) is an American physicist. He received his B.S. in engineering physics at the University of Oklahoma (1985), and his Ph.D. in applied physics at Yale University (1991). After postdoctoral work at MIT (1990-1991), he became a professor at the University of California, Berkeley. He moved to Cornell University in 2001, where he is currently the Goldwin Smith Professor of Physics. He is one of the world experts on carbon nanotubes and is a member of the National Academy of Sciences.

3:00 p.m. Monday, October 31
Open Lecture
Gaylord College of Engineering Auditorium with reception following in Inasmuch Commons

The Future of Small
For over half a century, the ever-shrinking integrated circuit has been the dominant driver of technological progress. The next 50 years promise even bigger changes as miniaturization and nanotechnology invade other areas of our lives, from healthcare to energy.  In this talk, McEuen will examine why small is so big and speculate how nano will change your life, both for good and for ill.  He will also take a detour into the world of fiction and discuss how a full-time scientist ends up moonlighting as a thriller writer.