As a grizzled veteran of contests, I must respectfully disagree, at
least in part. Especially with our call (which is an superb contest
call, buy the way) , this is a poor practice. Instead, call with our
call letters /and/ use "School Club." Simply saying "School Club" is
tantamount to calling with only a partial call. That's not only
technically illegal, but simply very poor technique. The best way to
raise the ire of a station during a run is to force them to ask for
repeats. Why? Because it forces the op on the other end to slow their
rate because they must ask you again for your call, and you must give it
/again /before the running station can begin to enter you in the log. A
good op will catch your call and start the logging as they make the QSO.
So, in a pile up, you call the running station (the one running the
pile) as follows:

"Whiskey 5 Tango Charlie, school club!" using a different inflection for
"school club." Note 1) you can usually drop the "whiskey" as
"double-yoo" is pretty distinct, and 2) that getting in a hurry is also
poor practice: the running station (the station being targeted by the
pile-up) won't catch your call or if you talk fast. The calling
station's job is to communicate, which means you must be clear and
efficient. Forcing the receiving station to constantly ask for fills
isn't efficient.

If you call properly, the station being called doesn't have to kill
their rate by requesting a fill with "School club?" but can, instead,
enter you call as they make the Q:

"W5TC 59 blah blah" (whatever the exchange is)
We then respond with their call and the exchange, tagging on "73" at the
end. Done!

Bottom line: no partial calls! Simply saying "school club" is the same
as a partial call.

73,

Kim N5OP

--
Kim Elmore, Ph

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (CCM, PP SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class
Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/“I occasionally play works by contemporary composers and for two
reasons. First to discourage the composer from writing any more and
secondly to remind myself how much I appreciate Beethoven." – Jascia
Heifitz/