From: Joseph V Ricapito [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 08:06
To: Lauer, A Robert
Subject: RE: Sad news: The death of Sam Armistead

Dear Tom:  I have read with great interest your very sensitive and caring review of your relations with Sam Armistead.  I know you to be a very devoted friend of Sam’s.  I am still reeling from his death.  We were very close.  I first met Sam when I went to UCLA to do my Ph.D. studies.  He wore a searsucker suit and we all thought he was just another new grad student due to his very young look.  Over the years I have had consulted him on all manners of affairs.  He always had time for others.  I looked upon him as my older brother, which I didn’t have.  I simply cannot accept my life without the presence of Sam.  He was always there.

How nice of you to remember him.  Best, Joe Ricapito