Greetings,

Please accept this invitation to contribute a chapter to the Critical Black Studies Reader a new volume in the book series Black Studies and Critical Thinking .(Eds. Rochelle Brock and Dara Nix-Stevenson)   This reader will criticalize and reinvision Black Studies.  The Critical Black Studies Reader will not only stretch the boundaries of knowledge and understanding of issues critical to the Black experience, it will create a theoretical grounding that is intersectional in its approach.  Our notion of Black Studies is neither singularly grounded in African American Studies nor on traditional notions of the Black experience.  Though situated work in this field has historically grappled with the question of “where are we?” in Black Studies, we invite a type of criticalization that has not occurred to this point.  While the volume will include seminal works by authors in the field, as a critical endeavor, we are committed to including pieces that address the political issues that intersect with power, race, class, gender, sexuality, religion, place, economics, etc.

The volume will be organized into five principal sections, for which we are soliciting chapter proposals.  The sections are as follows:

    Part 1: Theories of Critical Black Studies

    Part 2: Sociopolitical and Cultural Aesthetics in Black Studies

    Part 3: Transnationalist Perspectives and Contexts in Black Studies

    Part 4: Queer and Transgender Studies in Black Studies

    Part 5: Activism and Resistance in Black Studies: Past, Present, Future

If you are interested in proposing a chapter, please send a tentative title and a 250-word proposal of the chapter by January 31, 2014 to [log in to unmask]. After a short review process, we will respond to you with any thoughts or suggestions. We will ask that the first draft of your full chapter be emailed to [log in to unmask] by April 1st, 2014.  For your information, we will strictly adhere to the following timeline:

    Submit 250 Word Proposal - January 31, 2014

    Draft of Chapter Due to Editor - April 1st, 2014

    Feedback and Requested Revisions Sent to Authors –May 1st, 2014

    Revised Chapter Submission Due to Editor - May 28, 2014

    Final Revisions (if needed) Sent to Authors - June 28, 2014

    Final Chapters Submitted to Editor - July 28, 2014

    Full Manuscript to be Submitted to Peter Lang Publishing - August 28, 2014 (hard deadline)

    Book to be Published - April 2014

Chapters should be 5000 words.  No footnotes, endnotes only, and APA style.  If you cite www sources, please indicate date of last retrieval on your references.  We plan for the book to be launched for American Educational Research Association (AERA) 2014 Annual Conference.

Looking forward to working with you,

Rochelle and Dara

New York:  Peter Lang Publishing winner of the following national awards:

·      Peter Lang titles won 8 out of 25 “Critics’ Choice Awards” from the American Education Studies Association in 2012

·      “The Communication of Hate” received the 2011 NCA Franklyn S. Haiman Award for Distinguished Scholarship in Freedom of Expression

·      The International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry’s 2011 Qualitative Book Award was given to "Writing against, alongside and beyond memory: Lifewriting as reflexive, poststructuralist feminist research practice".

·      "The Making of a Building" received the 2010 Royal Institute of British Architects' (RIBA) President's Award for Outstanding University-located Research.

·      In 2010 "Ritual, Rapture and Remorse: A Study of Tarantism and Pizzica in Salento" was awarded a Special Mention  in the de la Torre Bueno Prize

·      In 2009 "Religious Conflict and the Evolution of Language Policy in German and French Cameroon, 1885-1939” was the winner of the Alf Andrew Heggoy Book Prize in French Colonial History from the French Colonial Historical Society.

Dr. Rochelle Brock

Associate Professor of Urban Education

Executive Director,

Urban Teacher Education Program (UTEP)

Co-Editor, International Journal of Critical Pedagogy

Executive Editor, Black Studies and Critical Thinking Book Series, Peter Lang

303 Hawthorn Hall

Gary, IN 46408

219-980-6889 (office) 219-980-6846 (fax)

 http://www.iun.edu/~utep/

"Nothing is impossible when we work in solidarity with love, respect, and justice as our guiding lights." -- J. Kincheloe