From: Amy Williamsen [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 09:28
To: S.P. Garcia
Cc: Campbell, Gwyn; Lauer, A Robert
Subject: Fwd: Sad news

Dear Susan and Roberto,

Please help us distribute this sad information.

We just learned Shirley Whitaker, indomitable comediante, passed away late last year, on Saturday, December 27th.  Born  in Lumberton, NC on September 19, 1928, she earned her BA and MA from Duke, receiving her PhD in Romance Languages from UNC Chapel Hill.  She had a long, distinguished career teaching at UNCG.  Her legacy of scholarly excellence lives on in her research and in the wealth of Siglo de Oro resources our library holds.

I am attaching the link to her obituary.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/newsobserver/obituary.aspx?pid=173696490

The family requests that memorial contributions be sent to UNCG Spanish Department, now part of the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures:  P.O. Box 26170, Greensboro, NC, 27402-6170.

With a sense of loss,

Amy
Amy R. Williamsen, Ph.D.

Department Head and Professor of Hispanic Studies
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
2332 Moore Humanities and Research Building
336-334-5725

NB de ARL: Muy tristes noticias, en efecto. Shirley fue siempre una dama muy querida y muy respetada de todos.