From: COLOQUIO: TEATRO DE LOS SIGLOS DE ORO [[log in to unmask]');" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Lauer, A Robert [[log in to unmask]');" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 10:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]');" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Sad news

From: Charles Ganelin [[log in to unmask]');" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2015 09:56
To: Lauer, A Robert
Subject: Re: Sad news

Thank you, Roberto, for sending this along.

"Indomitable" accurately describes Shirley! Her knowledge of Early Modern Spain (though she would never use that term) was profound, and she could be a stern questioner or commentator during a conference session, but you always saw full concentration in her gaze and knew she was listening to every word. In those rare moments when Shirley offered a compliment, you knew, again, that your work was well-founded and well-explained. Amy has rightfully reminded us of the legacy that Shirley has provided.

Saludos,

Charles

Charles Victor Ganelin
Professor of Spanish
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

513-529-4521

"It is difficult/to get the news from poems/yet men die miserably every day/for lack/of what is found there."--Williams Carlos Williams, "Asphodel, That Greeny Flower"