Dear MACers,
Please share widely.  This is a petition is against the inhumane treatment
of First Nation peoples in Adam Sandler's new film.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Care2 Action Alerts <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, May 5, 2015 at 1:27 PM
Subject: I walked off Adam Sandler's set - will you sign my petition?
To: Rev Dr E-K Daufin <[log in to unmask]>

 Rev Dr E-K, I am a Navjo woman and an actress, and I walked off the set of
Adam Sandler's new movie because it furthers the stereotype of drunk
Indians. Will you sign my petition asking Sandler to change the script?
   <http://www.thepetitionsite.com/>
    <http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/Ambaa/zqjI/vfZ5>

Tell Adam Sandler: White men shouldn't mock Native women like me!

Sign My Petition <http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/Ambaa/zqjI/vfZ5>

meet the petition author
Allie Young
Navajo Nation, NM

Rev Dr E-K,

The script for Adam Sandler's next movie contains numerous jokes and
stereotypes that mock American Indians, especially Native women. "The
Ridiculous Six" — in production now for Netflix — gives us names like
"Beaver Breath," "Never Wears Bra," and "Sits-on-Face."

*I am Navajo, and I was one of a dozen Native background extras who walked
away from Sandler's production in protest.*

On set, I was bronzed to look "more" Indian, even though I am a
full-blooded Native American. The current script also has white men toss an
alcoholic beverage at an Indian woman passed out on the ground — even while
alcoholism, sexual assault, and violence against women continue to ravage
real reservations.

*It's time to end the negative stereotype of the drunk Indian. Please sign
my petition demanding Adam Sandler and Netflix revise their script today!
<http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/Ambaa/zqjI/vfZ5>*

I was blessed with the opportunity to earn my BA in Film and Media Studies
at Dartmouth College. This rich education has given me the knowledge,
expertise, and tools to identify these problematic issues and to be a
strong voice for my people. I want to speak up for our Indigenous youth who
are deeply impacted by these negative stereotypes that are too often
perpetuated in film and media.

It is my goal to bring about change in the film industry and make room for
Native American talent to tell our own stories — stories about a people who
actually still exist today in the 21st century.

But when a "Ridiculous Six" producer learned that we didn't appreciate
being stereotyped this way, he snapped, "If you guys are overly sensitive,
you should leave." So we did — and I'm speaking out.

*Sign my Care2 petition: The producer must be removed from the film, and
Adam Sandler must remove jokes mocking American Indians, especially
American Indian women, from his script!
<http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/Ambaa/zqjI/vfZ5>*

Thank you,

Allie Young
Artist, Writer, Filmmaker, and Care2 Petition Author

      <http://www.care2.com/go/z/e/Ambaa/zqjI/vfZ5>

------------------------------
 To stop receiving this newsletter, visit:
http://www.care2.com/newsletters/unsub/3/0/11054330/c232b510

or send a blank email message to:

Care2.com, Inc.
275 Shoreline Drive, Suite 300
Redwood City, CA 94065
http://www.care2.com

--
Know Justice; Know Peace,
Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin
Professor of Communications
Alabama State University
National Media Size Equity Expert
Winner -- 2000 MaryAnn Yodelis-Smith
  Research Award AEJMC CSW
AEJMC MAC Membership Chair
915 S. Jackson St., MTG, AL 36101-0271
334-229-6885
*Follow me to my home country where the definitions are daufinations at:*
http://daufination.blogspot.com
http://pinterest.com/ekdaufin/
and www.home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin
*Your research and creative activity referrals are welcomed.*
*With all my heat & heart I want to work with and for kind, competent,
strong people who love and help me and I they.  Ashe!*