Hello MACers,

Thank you E-K for sharing information about the upcoming AEJMC conference. I would like to piggyback on your email by encouraging members to contact me [log in to unmask] the Faculty Research Chair, or Riva Brown [log in to unmask], the Student Competition Chair, to let us know if you are interested in serving as a reviewer this year. We need at least 10 to 15 reviewers each. Thank you all in advance for your help!

MAC Division  2016 AEJMC Call

The Minorities and Communication Division invites submissions of original research on any topic related to minorities in communication. Submissions employing any generally regarded scholarly method of inquiry are invited. Papers should include appropriate literature reviews, methodology, findings and discussion. Only one paper per primary author will be accepted.

The term “minorities” has been defined to include Latinos, African Americans, Asian Americans, and Native Americans. Therefore, papers examining how these groups present images, news and/or other information about themselves, as well as those examining how issues and/or perspectives related to race/ethnicity and diversity are featured in mainstream or other specialized media, would generally fall into this division’s area of interest.

Papers should not be more than 25-pages, excluding references, tables, figures, and other graphics. If it is not historical research, APA reference style is preferred. Student and faculty research will go through separate competitions. Students must identify their papers as such (“Student Paper”) on the title page of their submission. All sole- or co-authors of these papers must be students; papers co-authored by students and faculty should be submitted to the Faculty Research Paper competition. If these rules are not followed, papers are subject to disqualification. Also, follow the instruction in the 2015 AEJMC paper competition uniform call.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please carefully check your manuscript for self-identifying information of any kind, including following a particular style guide’s directions on matters of self-citation. Please avoid submitting your paper on the deadline day. An early submission will allow you to fully check the submission as they are entered into the system so that, if necessary, a resubmission prior to the deadline is possible.

Awards: The MAC Division offers awards for top three faculty and top three student papers. A certificate along with a check will be awarded to each of the winners.

Latino/Latin American Research Award: Sponsored by Florida International University School of Journalism and Mass Communication, this award honors the top three research papers submitted to either the International Communication or the Minorities in Communication divisions by Hispanic scholars for journalism and mass media research relevant to their communities in Latin America, the Caribbean, the United States, Canada, or the Iberian Peninsula, including domestic and international communication. Topics include Inter-American or Iberian-American communication, news media flows, media theory, media technology or new media, communication for development and social change, media law and ethics, media education, ethnic or gender media and integration, media economics, media and the environment, political communication, critical media studies, popular culture, and cultural studies, among others. The award recognizes all research methodologies. Eligible scholars regard themselves as members of the Latino, His-panic or Latin American community. The competition is open to AEJMC members and non-members, students and faculty.

For more information, please contact, Faculty Research Chair Mia Moody-Ramirez, email: [log in to unmask], telephone: 254.710.7247

or Student Competition Chair: Riva Brown, email: [log in to unmask] , telephone: 601.672.8946

Mia Moody-Ramirez, Ph.D.
American Studies Program Director
Associate Professor & Graduate Program Director
Baylor University
Department of Journalism, Public Relations & New Media
One Bear Place #97353
Waco, Texas 76798-7353
Telephone 254-710-7247
Personal website: http://www.miamoody.net
James Byrd Jr. study website: http://hewitttx.wix.com/jasper

Purchase Black & Mainstream Press' Coverage of Sept. 11
Purchase Obamas and the Mass Media