Hi Barbara and team -

here is one possible prompt that would work with our patient community:

*The things that matter to me and my family about health care and seeing
the doctor,  that I also think people should spend time studying and
making better are.... *

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Norton, Barbara L. (HSC) <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> *NOTE TO PDQNet TEAM – Please add your prompt suggestions at least once
> and ideally more (!) before Monday’s call.  Then “Reply to All” so that
> others can add theirs.*
>

> *Group to Decide on Prompt:*
>
> After visiting with Ken Oakley today, he clarified that *we should not
> invite our community/clinician expert team members to debate what prompt to
> use for the brainstorming* because they will also be participants in the
> concept mapping process and we do not want to dilute the process, so to
> speak.  He stressed that our *research team of four, with his support,
> should select the prompt, then test it out *with a small group that will
> not be a part of the PDQNet concept mapping exercises, following which the
> research team (the four of us) can tweak it.
>

> *Phrasing of the Prompt:*
>
> He also said that the prompt * should not change, not even a single word*,
> from group to group.  That was a point I was not previously clear on. The
> only thing you can change is that you can qualify *how *you are asking
> the group to answer the prompt.  For example, we can ask everyone to answer
> as a “patient” (or “primary care patient” or “community member”) –
> regardless of whether they are associated with one of our patient/community
> partners, a PBRN, or function professionally as an academic or
> community-based researcher.  We can also ask the PBRN reps to answer as
> community clinicians rather than as patients.  *For myself, I think we
> will get more robust findings if we have all groups answer in the same way
> regardless of their professional identity – that is, as patients/community
> members –  but I am interested in what others think about this.*
>
> *PDQNet Concept Mapping Groups:*
>
> There will be three different types of concept mapping groups – 1)
> patient/community partner reps, 2) PBRN reps, and 3) academic health
> services researchers, and it is important that there not be overlapping
> members.  In instances where a participant may have membership in more than
> one of these groups, it will be important to stress that they – for the
> purpose of a given exercise – participate (or think) as a member of that
> group, e.g. PBRN reps.
>

> *Barbara’s Updated List of Potential Prompts (ignore prior list):*
>
> •                  *People like me can have a role in health care
> research by …*
>
> •                  *When I think of health research that matters to me, I
> think of …*
>
> •                  *A lot of money goes into answering questions and
> solving problems so that people stay healthy and so that everyday health
> care works better.  If someone like me could tell those researchers how to
> do a better job, I’d want to … *
>
> •                  *The best way to get patients, doctors, and
> communities involved in research about making primary health care work
> better for me and people like me is … *

> [...]

Lyndee Knox
LA Net - A Community Health Research and Resource Network
www.lanetpbrn.net and www.projectechola.org
Phone: 562-434-2000