Olivia G. Perez-Langley, [log in to unmask]

2016 NCA Latina/o Communication Studies Division Call for Submissions

Latino/Latina Communication Studies Division

2016 NCA Call for Submissions

The Latino/Latina Communication Studies Division of the National Communication Association invites submissions for the 102nd Annual Convention to be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 10-13, 2016. According to our mission statement, the Latino/Latina Communication Studies Division “fosters the study of communication issues and their attendant intersections with matters of concern for Latina/o communities throughout the Americas” (http://www.natcom.org/interestgroups/). We embrace a wide range of methodological and theoretical perspectives, including quantitative, qualitative, and critical.

This year’s conference theme is “Communication’s Civic Callings,” and seeks to address questions about the complicated pasts, compelling presents, and coming possibilities of our civic life. It is also a prompt for us to look ahead, to seriously consider what we take to be the opportunities of both the Association and the now vast intellectual field comprising Communication Studies. So, in addition to the convention’s annual array of provocative scholarship, this conference theme calls for us to both reflect and look ahead on the study, teaching, and practices of communication (http://www.natcom.org/convention/). We welcome submissions that address issues pertinent to and meaningful for our division, and especially those that combine a focus on our mission with a concern for the conference theme, “Communication’s Civic Callings.”

We will accept four types of submissions: 1) competitive individual papers (referred to in the submission process as "individual papers"), 2) paper sessions, and 3) panel discussions 4) performance panels. Please indicate on the submission, if you will need AV equipment for the session.

1. Competitive Individual Papers: These are full papers submitted individually, which will be reviewed and, if accepted, paneled by the program planner alongside other competitively selected papers. These should NOT be merely abstracts or extended abstracts, but rather complete papers. When preparing a submission, please observe the following:

*On the first screen of the submission process, there will be a question that allows students to indicate that it is a student paper. If you are an undergraduate or graduate student, please use this question to specify that this is a student paper.

*Include a title, a 250-300 word abstract, and three keywords.

*Before submitting, be sure to remove all information from the paper upload that identifies the author(s) in order to facilitate the blind review process. In NCA Convention Central, you will enter the paper title, description, and author-related information as you are submitting.

*The paper should be no more than 25 pages (double-spaced, 12-point font), excluding the abstract, keywords, and references.

2. Paper Sessions: In this type of submission, a group of papers are submited as a complete session. Papers are reviewed, and accepted, as a group. Each author, if accepted, would then present her/his own paper. These papers should be centered on a common theme. When preparing a submission, please include:

*A session title, overall session description, and rationale for the paper session of no more than 250 words.

*A title and description of no more than 250 words for each individual paper, as well as the name and institutional affiliation of each author.

*A chair is required, and her/his name and institutional affiliation should be included. If the participants have secured a respondent, that information should also be included.

*Participants must come from more than one institution, and in general, proposals that include participants from multiple institutions will be evaluated more positively than those with participants from only two institutions.

3. Panel Discussions: A panel discussion is submitted as a pre-conceived and complete session of presenters discussing a topic/issue. There are no papers presented at a panel discussion. Panel discussion submissions should include:

*A panel title and general abstract of no more than 75 words for the discussion.

*A rationale for the discussion of no more than 250 words.

*The names and institutional affiliations of all participants.

*Participants must come from more than one institution, and in general, proposals that include participants from multiple institutions will be evaluated more positively than those with participants from only two institutions.

*A chair is required, and should be listed, along with her/his institutional affiliation.

4. Performance Session: A performance session is submitted as a completed panel of performances centered on the conference theme/issue.  Performance submissions should include:

* A performance title and general abstract of no more than 250 words.

* The names of participants and institutional affiliations of each participant

*Full scripts of the proposed performances.

* Performances should be no longer than 15 minutes

* Participants must come from more than one institution, and in general, proposals that include participants from multiple institutions will be evaluated more positively than those with participants from only two institutions.

This year we look forward to the addition of a performance session as well as a top papers panel as we engage in Communication’s Civic Callings as a conference theme and question for our individual needs as academics.

For assistance with all stages of the submission process, including live and recorded step-by-step instructions on how to submit, please visit the Convention Library (http://www.natcom.org/conventionresources/). In particular, please be sure to review the “NCA Professional Standards for Convention Participants” prior to submission. All submissions must be made online through NCA Central (ww4.aievolution.com/nca1501). Convention Central will be available starting Monday, January 19, 2015, and will close Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific. No late submissions will be accepted. Be sure to submit early to avoid any potential last-minute problems.

Thank you for your interest in submitting to and supporting the Latino/Latina Communication Studies Division. We look forward to seeing you in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 2016!

Olivia G. Perez-Langley

Latino/Latina Communication Studies Division 2016 NCA Program Planner

--
Know Justice; Know Peace,
Rev. Dr. E-K. Daufin
Professor of Communications
Alabama State University
National Media Size Equity Expert
Winner -- 2000 MaryAnn Yodelis-Smith
  Research Award AEJMC CSW
AEJMC MAC Membership Chair
915 S. Jackson St., MTG, AL 36101-0271
334-229-6885
Follow me to my home country where the definitions are daufinations at:
http://daufination.blogspot.com
http://pinterest.com/ekdaufin/
and www.home.earthlink.net/~ekdaufin
Your research and creative activity referrals are welcomed.
With all my heat & heart I want to work with and for kind, competent, strong people who love and help me and I they.  Ashe!