NB de A. Robert Lauer: Generalmente no anuncio eventos fuera de los campos del Siglo de Oro. Hago una excepción en este momento simplemente porque me sorprende lo que el estimado colega Grover Wilkins, director de música de la Orchestra of New Spain (Dallas, Tejas, EEUU) hace: brindar una zarzuela sobre un tema clásico. Para mí, el compositor, José Melchor Baltasar Gaspar Nebra Blasco (1702-1768) me es ajeno. No obstante, veo que escribió óperas y zarzuelas, todas, aparentemente, sobre temas clásicos, aparte de un par de autos sacramentales sobre asuntos bíblicos. Fascinante. Gracias, Grover, por todo lo que haces por la cultura hispánica en América.

From: Grover Wilkins [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 11:52
To: Lauer, A Robert
Subject: What to Expect at the Opera!

         Here's what to expect at the opera!

José de Nebra's zarzuela Iphigenia en Tracia is a tragi-comic opera set near the ancient city of Troy.  The original Greek story turns around the three children of Agememnon and Clytemnestra, Iphigenia, Orestes and Electra.  Having been separated for years they don't recognize each other when Orestes arrive in Tracia (Thrace) in an attempt to retrieve the statue of the goddess Diana, now guarded by his sister Iphigenia.  This being opera, all the characters have conflicting love interests to which we are introduced and amused by the clever libretto of Nicolás González Martínez.  Nebra is a composer who uses a combination of Italian recitative and de Capo arias, Spanish sequidillas and various ensembles to keep the listener glued to the stage with eye and ear.

         Cast of Characters:
         Iphigenia, Priestess of Diana and daughter of Agememnon and Clytemnestra
         Dircea, Princess of Tracia
         Toante, Kind of Tracia
         Pilades, King of Phocys
         Electra, Wife of Pilades and sister of Iphigenia
         Cofieta, Confidant of Electra
         Polidoro, Prince of Ponto
         Mochila, Servant of Polidoro
         Orestes, Prince of Mycene and brother of Iphigenia

Get your tickets now by clicking here!

Address postal inquiries to:
Orchestra of New Spain
10260 N. Central Expy. Ste. 276