From: Bob Varga [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, January 5, 2017 12:19 PM
To: Council on Undergraduate Research List <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [curl] Keck Geology Consortium 2017

Dear Colleague,

I would like to bring to your attention the following research opportunities for undergraduate students in the geosciences and related fields for summer 2017.

Each year the Keck Geology Consortium has undergraduate research opportunities for undergraduate students in a wide variety of geological/environmental science sub-disciplines and locations.

Funding for this program comes from the (pending) NSF-REU program and the 17 member institutions. This year we have slots for 29 students.  Our program this year comprises two "Advanced" projects for rising Juniors or Seniors who are declared earth science majors and a "Gateway" project for rising Sophomores and Juniors aimed at students from underrepresented groups in the earth sciences who have yet to declare their major.

The program for declared majors includes 4 weeks of summer research (field and/or lab work depending on the project), continuing research during the academic year (jointly advised by a project faculty member and a research advisor at the students home institution), and a publication in the annual Keck Geology Consortium proceedings volume.  Gateway students participate in a 5 week summer program.  Students receive a $500/summer week stipend and typically all travel and living expenses are provided for.

This year we have an exciting range of projects in many different sub-disciplines (climate change, petrology, geomorphology, volcanology, geochemistry, structure, geochronology, paleontology and more)....see our project descriptions at http://www.keckgeology.org/projects

I have attached the flyer for the 2017-2018 projects.  Please post or distribute this information to any students who are eligible and might be interested.

We strongly encourage students from underrepresented groups in the earth sciences to apply.

Detailed information is available at: http://keckgeology.org/
The application deadline is February 15th, 2017. The application process is online.

Please address any questions to Dr. Robert J. Varga, Keck Geology Consortium Director ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>), or Carol Morgan, Keck Geology Consortium Administrative Assistant ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Thanks,

Robert J. Varga, Keck Director.
Robert J. Varga
Director, Keck Geology Consortium
Geology Department
Pomona College
185 E. 6th St.
Claremont, CA  91711
Cell: (330) 465-7184

Keck Office Tel: (909) 607-9102
Fax: (909) 621-8551

Robert J. Varga, Director
Keck Geology Consortium
Geology Department
Pomona College
185 E 6th St.
Claremont, CA  91711

[cid:image001.jpg@01D2679F.16991D80]

You are currently subscribed to curl as: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. To unsubscribe send a blank email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Please note that by clicking Reply, your response will go to the author only. To send a response to the full list, please direct your response to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.