*TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY*

School of Communication

*3100 Cleburne Street, Houston, Texas 77004 -- 713 313 7740*

*37th Intercultural Communication Conference, 2017*

*CONFERENCE** DATE: APRIL 20, 2017*

*ABSTRACT SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 13, 2017*

For its coming Intercultural Communication Conference, the School of
Communication at Texas Southern University invites students, scholars,
professionals and administrators to submit proposals or abstracts for
papers, discussions, and/or presentations that address issues in
communication within various contexts and are related to this theme:

*Agency, Privilege, and Voice:*

*Communicating in the Age of Globalization and Multiculturalism*

The subjects presenters may address in the abstracts or proposals may
include, but are not limited to, the following:

Contesting Discursive Spaces
                Social Media, Civic Engagement and Civil Society

International Communication and Multiculturalism
Interpersonal Communication and Multiculturalism

Communication, Social Activism and Social Movements          Communication
and “Globalization” vs. “Globalism”

Communication and Multiculturalism in the
Classroom                            Organizational Communication and
Multiculturalism

Mass Media, Cultural Awareness, and Individual Identity           The Dark
or Dysfunctional in Social Media Utilization

‘Old’ Media, ‘New’ Media, and Traditional ‘News Values’         Old Media,
New Media, and Multiple Membership(s)

The organizers anticipate that the contributions to the Conference would
include (a) those with a focus that is entirely in communication, (b) those
with a focus in communication that is inspired or informed or directed by
issues in other disciplines, and (c) those with a focus located in other
disciplines but with the communication implications highlighted.

*Submission Details and Guidelines:*

   1. Contributions may be theoretical, methodological, qualitative,
   ethnographic, and/or quantitative.
   2. If you have received word of the acceptance of your proposed
   contribution for presentation or publication, or if you already have
   presented or published it, you should make this clear at the time of the
   submission.  This will not affect the decision to on acceptance of the
   contribution.
   3. Proposals for panel discussions preferably would focus on a unifying
   idea relevant to research, theory, teaching, professional practice, or
   administration, as well as the theme of the conference.
   4. Participants in proposed panels should include of a chair, paper
   presenters, and a respondent; however, we encourage round-table
   discussions, symposia, debates, and other formats. In these formats,
   respondents may be included or omitted as appropriate.
   5. We encourage the submission of creative or innovative program
   proposals, especially those that are related to the theme and that provide
   for interaction among participants and attendees.
   6. Proposals for papers should include the name(s) of the author or
   author(s), titles of the papers, and abstracts of no more than 150 words.
   7. Proposals for panel discussions should include: titles of and
   rationales for the panels/programs; titles and 100-word abstracts for each
   of the presentations; names, affiliations, addresses, phone numbers and
   e-mail addresses of all participants; names of chairs and respondents (if
   any); and descriptions of the panels (75-100 words) as they would appear in
   the conference program.
   8. Please submit your proposal or abstract electronically no later
than *FEBRUARY
   13, 2017.* Should or­ganiz­ers accept your abstract, you will receive