Susan E. Walden, Ph.D.

[log in to unmask]; 405.325.7407

mage removed by sender.

March updates!

Greetings scholars, below are more opportunities that you should take advantage of! Just don't forget to open the links up on a non mobile device. Additionally lets all congratulate OSU scholar Cameron Patterson for placing 1st place with the Design/Build Team in the Associated Schools of Construction(ASC) and 3rd place in the design/build speaker category!

Reminder: All scholars who are presenting poster and oral presentations should remember to use not only the logo of your university, but OK-LSAMP's and the NSF's as well.

University of Buffalo undergraduate research conference

PCD Student Research Paper Contest Deadline March 10th

Tree field studies in Costa Rica Deadline March 15th

REU Western Montana Deadline March 17th

University of Washington REU Deadline March 20th

Research Project investigating food webs Deadline March 21st

Research Internship on greenhouse gases in subtropical grazinglands Deadline March 22nd

University of Georgia REU Deadline March 24th

Michigan Tech REU Rolling Deadline

Syracuse REU Deadline April 1st

News from LSMCE

University of Buffalo Undergraduate Research Conference

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the University at Buffalo, please Save-the-Date Card (attached) for our upcoming Conference to be held, this summer, in beautiful Niagara Falls, New York.

All undergraduate researchers (regardless of their program affiliation) are invited and encouraged to attend this wonderful event to be held from July 27-29, 2017.

More information is forthcoming at our website: www.cpmc.buffalo.edu/mcnair.

We sincerely hope that your summer plans and program’s financial resources allow for your attendance!

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly at 716-645-5479 or by email at: [log in to unmask].

Susan J. Ott, PhD, CFP®

Director and PI

Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program

Assistant Professor, Adjunct

Graduate School of Education

255 Capen Hall

University at Buffalo

Buffalo, New York 14260

Phone: 716-645-5478

PCD Student Research Paper Contest Deadline Approaching

Dear Colleagues,

Do you know an exceptional student who’s doing great work in the field of chronic disease prevention and health promotion? Preventing Chronic Disease (PCD) is currently taking submissions for its 2017 Student Research Paper Contest.

There’s still time for students to submit their research!
We are looking for high school, undergraduate and graduate students, and medical residency and recent postdoctoral fellows to submit papers relevant to the prevention, screening, surveillance, and/or population-based intervention of chronic diseases, including but not limited to arthritis, asthma, cancer, depression, diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular disease. Papers must be received electronically no later than 5:00 PM EST on March 10, 2017.

Additional information and detailed submission guidelines are available on the PCD website at  https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/announcements/2017_pcd_student_research_paper_contest.htm

Thank you in advance for your assistance and continued support of PCD.

Best Regards,
Sasha M. Ruiz
PCD Editorial Office

(404)645-3355
www.cdc.gov/pcd

Primate Behavior in Costa Rica Deadline March 15th

Program:
This course is designed to teach undergraduate and graduate students the basic skills necessary to study primate behavior in the wild. Throughout this course you will learn techniques in ecological and behavioral data collection and complete an independent study on one of three primate species native to the area (Ateles geoffroyi, the black handed spider monkey; Cebus capucinus, the white-faced capuchin; Alouatta palliata, the mantled howler monkey).

This course will take place at El Zota Biological Station, an inland tropical wet forest site comprised of primary, secondary and regenerating forest. The last few days will be held on the coast (location a function of the weather). At or nearby to this location students will get to do some fun activities like: see a cloud forest visit a coffee/chocolate plantations, go white water rafting, zip-lining, sea-turtle watching, and snorkeling. Space is limited so contact us soon!
Qualifications:
Due date for the application is March, 15,2017 - though we will give priority to folks applying now.

Completion of the Tree Field Studies Application (available on the Tree Field Studies website),

Currently registered in or having graduated from a college or university is a bonus - but not required.

GPA (for at least the past or current semester) of at least 3.0 for current or past coursework. Accommodations can be made for those with lower GPA's. But, such accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. Contact Tree Field Studies directly for clarification,

Signed Tree Field Studies Medical Release Form (available on the Tree Field Studies website),

Signed Tree Field Studies Liability Form (available on the Tree Field Studies website),

1 -2 Reference Letters
Tuition:
$2895 US dollars: this fee includes all in-country costs: room, board, and instruction.

Start + End Dates: June 3 - June 23 (students should arrive in Costa Rica by June 2, and leave no earlier than June 24).

Application Deadline: March, 15

Admission preference is given to those registering early. However,we will apply serious consideration to applications submitted by April, 15, 2017. In addition, please do not hesitate to contact one of our team members about applying - even if your intent to apply is past any of our due dates. We will consider any application past our due dates on a case-by-case basis.
Contact:
Dr. Lorna Joachim
Tree Field Studies
P.o. Box 1252
Corrales, NM, 87048

Our Website:
http://treefieldstudies.wix.com/treefieldstudies
Dr Joachim E-Mail Address: [log in to unmask]
Dr. Lorna Joachim

Co-founder and Principle Instructor for
TREE: Tropical Research in Ecology &
Ethology, LLC

Adjunct Professor of Research in Psychology
The University of New Mexico

REU at UGA

Deadline
March 24th

Jill Anderson and Susana Wadgymar at the University of Georgia are searching for an enthusiastic undergraduate with a strong interest in evolutionary ecology for field research in an NSF REU position (National Science Foundation, Research Experience for Undergraduates) from June-August 2017.

We study the ecological and evolutionary consequences of climate change for natural plant populations. We focus on research on Drummond’s rockcress (Boechera stricta in the plant family Brassicaceae), a mustard plant native to the Rocky Mountains. Our studies take place around the Rocky Mountain Biological Lab (http://www.rmbl.org/), which is located in Gothic, Colorado near the wildflower capital of Colorado (Crested Butte). We quantify plant fitness and traits to ask whether climate change could disrupt long-standing patterns of local adaptation, and to test whether phenotypic plasticity will enable populations to persist in the short-term. We perform large-scale reciprocal transplant experiments to examine patterns of adaptive evolution and natural selection in contemporary landscapes. Since fall 2013, we have planted ~60,000 seeds and seedlings into five experimental gardens ranging in elevation from 2500 m to 3340 m (8202 feet to 11000 feet). Our summer research involves intensive monitoring of these experimental plants to record data on germination success, survival, growth, reproductive success, as well as life history and morphological traits. We conduct most of our work in the field, with a small proportion of indoor lab work.
The successful candidate will assist with ongoing fieldwork. In addition, there are many opportunities for students to develop independent projects associated with our overall objectives, including studies on: 1) population divergence in ecologically-relevant traits, especially drought, UV tolerance, and herbivore resistance; 2) phenotypic plasticity at multiple spatial scales; 3) population density and species composition of the herbivore community that attacks Drummond’s rockcress; 4) flower color polymorphism; and 5) the importance of maternal effects in biological responses to climate change.

We are offering a stipend of $500/week for a full time REU student (40 hours/week) for 10 weeks. The exact start and end dates are flexible. We will cover room and board at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory and reimburse travel expenses up to $500. Fieldwork will involve hiking to experimental gardens through rough terrain (1-3 miles one-way daily).

The University of Georgia is committed to maintaining a fair and respectful environment for living, work, and study. To that end, all qualified applicants from individuals with a strong interest in evolutionary biology will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or age. The application consists of a cover letter listing your qualifications, a CV/ résumé, and contact information for two references, all of which can be emailed to Dr. Jill Anderson at: [log in to unmask]

Applications are due by March 24th, 2017.

Feel free to contact Jill or Susana ([log in to unmask]) if you have any questions about the position. Additional information about the our work can be found at: http://andersonlab.genetics.uga.edu/Home.html

Syracuse REU

Deadline
April 1st

Syracuse University: The Fridley Lab at Syracuse University is seeking two motivated undergraduate students to participate in ‘Project Carbon’, a laboratory investigation of the energy and nutrient budgets of plant species in a long-term climate change experiment. Activities will depend in part on the interests of the students but will likely involve greenhouse plant propagation, laboratory gas exchange measurements, plant tissue analyses of energy and nutrient content, and s...oil microbial measurements. Students will be provided with a $5000 stipend for living expenses over the 12-wk duration starting May 15. Relevant experience and ecology- or plant biology-related coursework is desirable but not required. For information on eligibility and how to apply go to: https://sites.google.com/site/fridleylab/home/join-us
Applications will be accepted through April 1, 2017.

REU Michigan Tech

Research Experience for Undergraduates in Stream Ecology – Michigan Tech, Summer 2017

The Marcarelli Aquatic Ecosystem Ecology Lab is searching for a motivated student in Ecology, Biology, or Environmental Science for a NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) position. The student will work closely with Dr. Marcarelli and her graduate students to study the balance between nitrogen fixation and denitrification in streams and rivers. The REU student will design a rese...arch project, conduct field work, analyze samples and data, and synthesize findings related to the core questions of this project:

1. How do nitrogen cycle processes co-exist in small streams, large rivers, and adjacent wetlands?
2. How does nutrient enrichment shift the balance among nitrogen cycle processes?
3. How does community composition of algae and microbes relate to rates of nitrogen cycle processes?

There will be opportunities to conduct field work in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, participate in undergraduate research workshops, and present research results to the Michigan Tech community and possibly at a national conference.

The candidate must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States and enrolled as an undergraduate student in Fall 2017. The REU is expected to last 10 weeks (start/end date negotiable but should occur between June 1 and August 31 2017) with a total stipend of $5,000 and an additional $1,000 to offset the cost of summer lodging, which is available on campus at Michigan Tech.

To apply, please submit a cover letter (include a statement of interest, future plans, confirmation of eligibility, and preferred start/end dates), an up-to-date CV or resume, a recent transcript (unofficial is fine), and names and contact information for two references to Dr. Amy Marcarelli ([log in to unmask]).
Application review will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.

Visit our lab webpage for a more in-depth view of our research and to meet the members of our team. http://marcarelli-lab.bio.mtu.edu/home

--
Amy Marcarelli
Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences

Research Internship on greenhouse gases in subtropical grazing lands

Deadline
March 22nd

Beginning April/May 2017

Ideal for Students with Undergraduate Degrees Contemplating Graduate School

Includes independent research project. Provides Weekly stipend, Room, and Food stipend.

Internships at MacArthur Agro-ecology Research Center (MAERC), a division of Archbold Biological Station, in south-central Florida in the Agro-Ecology Program. The intern will be co-supervised by Dr. Elizabeth (Betsey) Boughton and Dr. Jed Sparks (Cornell University).

The research intern will participate in research in wetland ecology, community ecology, and disturbance ecology (grazing, fire, flooding). Primarily, the intern will work on a collaborative project investigating the effects of fire and cattle grazing on greenhouse gases in subtropical pastures.

The intern will be trained to use a variety of instruments to measure greenhouse gas fluxes (N2O, CH4, CO2) as well as soil, plant biomass, and plant species composition. Other fieldwork will include aboveground biomass collection and moving grazing exclosures. Long days and work on weekends may be required during intense data collection campaigns. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate experience with similar measurements.

Interns receive room, a meal allowance, and a weekly stipend of $100. They typically work 20 hours per week as research assistants and the remainder on an independent research project. Internships generally run for 9-12 months but are flexible in their starting dates and durations. Internships offer an opportunity for experience in every aspect of scientific research, from project choice and experimental design to oral and written presentations.

Interns must be able to tolerate living on a remote cattle ranch and provide their own transportation for personal activities. MAERC is a division of Archbold Biological Station with eight permanent staff, located 11 miles away from the main field station. MAERC is operated as a commercial cattle ranch which serves as a research platform to investigate ecological and environmental challenges on working landscapes.

Archbold Biological Station is active in research, conservation, and education. Our facilities include a 5000 ha preserve, an outstanding regional library and a GIS lab. We have a staff of about 50 with many visiting scientists, an active seminar program, and a relaxed biological station atmosphere.

To apply for an internship in the agro-ecology lab, please provide the following: a cover letter stating research interests, a description of previous research experience (including experience making similar measurements as listed above), a resume or CV, a summary of grades, and contact information from two references by 22 March 2017. A preferred start date is in April or May. Please EMAIL applications to:

Elizabeth Boughton [log in to unmask]
Phone: 863-699-0242 ext 2

Elizabeth (Betsey) Boughton | Program Director, Agro-ecology | Asst. Research Biologist
Phone: (863) 699-02421 ext. 2 | Mobile: (863) 840-3673

REU – Research Experience for Undergraduates: Grassland/Grasshopper Ecology in Western Montana

Deadline
March 17th

Gary Belovsky in the Dept. of Biological Sciences at the University of Notre Dame is seeking applicants for an NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) position in summer 2017 to study insect ecology.
The REU student will be part of a research team examining grasshopper ecology in western Montana, at the National Bison Range National Wildlife Refuge in Moiese, Montana. Pote...ntial projects for the REU include examining grasshopper population dynamics or species interactions (competition, predation, etc).
We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate with a solid academic record, and a strong interest in field ecology. The REU will be working as part of a team, which can include working outside for long periods in unpredictable weather and conditions, and which requires the ability to work independently as well as contribute to a positive group dynamic.
The duration of the study is from June 1 to mid-August, although the dates are somewhat flexible. The REU student will earn a stipend of $4500. Research supplies, lodging, and travel to/from Montana will be provided.
Review of applications will begin after mid-March and continue until filled. Eligible candidates must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must be enrolled as an undergraduate for Fall 2017. Students from underrepresented groups in STEM disciplines are particularly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please e-mail the following application materials to Jennifer Belovsky ([log in to unmask]) with the subject line “REU” no later than March 17, 2017:
1. Statement/cover letter explaining the following:
•why you are interested in this position
•what are your future plans
•dates you are available to start and end this position
•confirm eligibility for the REU program
•your e-mail address and phone number
2. Resume
3. Names and contact information for two people who can serve as your references

For more information, please contact Jennifer Belovsky ([log in to unmask])

University of Washington REU

Deadline
March 20th

The HilleRisLambers community ecology lab at the University of Washington is seeking applicants for an NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in the summer of 2017. The REU student will work with Drs. Janneke HilleRisLambers and Amy Angert (at University of British Columbia) to develop and implement an independent project focusing on how plant communities vary across large-scale macroclimatic and fine-scale microclimatic gradients, relevant to understanding impacts... of climate change. Field work will occur in Washington at Mt. Rainier National Park, North Cascades National Park, and nearby National Forests; with lab work occurring at University of Washington (in Seattle).

The REU will run 12 weeks from June 5th – August 25th, with some flexibility in start and end dates possible. A stipend of $600/week is provided for the 12-week period of the internship. Lodging, travel and food are provided while conducting field work.

To apply and get more information about the position, please visit https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/jhrl/325701. We will start reviewing applications on March 20th, and anticipate making hiring decisions by early to mid April. To be eligible, you must be a US Citizen or permanent resident currently working towards a Bachelor’s degree in a related field, graduating no sooner than Fall of 2017.

For more information about Dr. HilleRisLambers and Dr. Angert research groups, visit http://faculty.washington.edu/jhrl/Index.html and http://angert.botany.ubc.ca/.

 Research Project about Food Webs

Deadline
March 21st

Seeking two summer undergraduate researchers to participate in a project investigating how variation of streamflow affects energy transfer through stream food webs. The goal of the Food Chain Length (FCL) project is to link the mechanisms of temporal variation in streamflow and intensity of disturbance regimes to FCL in aridland streams. Ongoing research conducted in streams across Arizona includes repeated measures of variation in food chain length, ecosystem metabolism, nit...rate concentrations, and experimental nitrogen pulse manipulations. Additionally, we are investigating how flood pulses of water and nitrogen stimulate production in the riparian ecosystem by measuring changes in soil processes, primary producers, and consumers.

Students will contribute both to the field campaign and laboratory sample processing. Students will also collaborate closely with the principal investigator, graduate students, and technicians to develop an independent research project that will build on the ongoing research.
Fieldwork will consist of traveling to rivers across the state of Arizona for aquatic biological surveys, water quality measurements, sensor maintenance, and requires spending long days in the desert during the Arizona summer, often carrying heavy equipment. Lab work will consist of processing samples for stable isotope analysis, invertebrate sorting, and soil microbial activity and nutrient assays.

Applicant requirements: Students must have demonstrated interest in ecology. The position lasts 12 weeks, preferably starting in early May, though exact dates are flexible and is based at Arizona State University. Application is restricted to currently enrolled undergraduates that graduate no sooner than fall 2017. All applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

Desired qualifications: Previous experience with laboratory or field- based research; coursework in biology, ecology, chemistry, and math/statistics; enthusiasm about conducting both field and lab work, with occasional long days in the field or multi-day field trips; valid U.S. driver’s license. Women, underrepresented minorities, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.

To apply: 1) letter summarizing research interests and experience, 2) list of relevant coursework, and 3) CV to Dr. Tamara Harms
([log in to unmask]) by March 21, 2017

Cameron's article

http://news.okstate.edu/articles/osu-teams-place-regional-construction-competition?utm_source=OSU+Communications&utm_campaign=9314369869-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ef85cdae6a-9314369869-20590097

Tuesday, April 4, 2017  |  4:30p-6:30p EDT   |   IUPUI Campus, Indianapolis, IN

Accelerate Acceptance:
The Secrets of Graduate Admissions Speed Sessions

Learn about topics related to graduate school admissions from IUPUI, Ball State, and Purdue graduate admissions experts in a speed-dating type model. Our presenters will have 10 minutes to share their topic and answer questions. This event is open to anyone interested in graduate/professional education — at IUPUI or elsewhere. Registration is required: http://go.iu.edu/1tAt
Download Flyer

mage removed by sender.DATE & TIME:
Tuesday, April 4, 2017
4:30 - 6:30 p.m.

LOCATION:  (MAP)
IUPUI Campus Center, Room 309
420 University Boulevard, Indianapolis, IN

DOE-EM MSIPP Accepting Internship Applications through March 20, 2017

The Department of Energy (DOE) and Office of Environmental Management (EM) are offering summer internships to current undergraduate and graduate students attending a Minority Serving Institution. Eligible candidates must be enrolled in a STEM discipline.
When & Where:
Summer start dates vary between May 15 & June 5, and are 10 weeks in duration. Research internships available at all six national labs.

Compensation:
Selected candidates will be compensated by either a stipend or salary, and may include one round trip domestic travel to and from the host laboratory. Stipends and salaries will be commensurate with cost of living at the location of the host laboratory. Housing information will be provided to interns prior to arrival at the host laboratory, and will vary from lab to lab.

For the full list of internships and eligibility: http://orise.orau.gov/msipp

Questions? Contact  [log in to unmask]  |  Download Flyer
The online application will close March 20, 2017, at 11:59 PM ET.

National Science Foundation REU Program in Interdisciplinary Chemistry at OSU

The Department of Chemistry at Oklahoma State University is pleased to announce its 2017 National Science Foundation REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program. The grant will allow interested undergraduate majors to experience an intense 10-week research program working with faculty researchers in the Department of Chemistry.

Compensation: A generous stipend and meal plans are provided, and housing is free. Learn more about the program and application process: https://chemistryreu.okstate.edu/   |   Download Flyer

August 5-19, 2017 | Argonne National Laboratory & Oak Ridge National Laboratory

19th National School on Neutron and
X-ray Scatteringmage removed by sender.

Purpose: The main purpose of the National School on Neutron and X-ray Scattering is to educate graduate students on the utilization of major neutron and x-ray facilities. Lectures, presented by researchers from academia, industry and national laboratories will include basic tutorials on the principles of scattering theory and the characteristics of the sources, as well as seminars on the application of scattering methods to a variety of scientific subjects. Students will conduct short experiments at Argonne's Advanced Photon Source and Oak Ridge's Spallation Neutron Source and High Flux Isotope reactor facilities to obtain hands-on experience for using neutron and synchrotron sources.

Target Audience: Graduate students attending universities in North America majoring in physics, chemistry, materials science, geosciences, engineering or related fields.

How to Apply: Applicants are encouraged to register electronically through the website at http://aps.anl.gov/nx
Applications due Monday, April 10, 2017.   Download Flyer

Attention Minority Serving Institutions!

Savannah River Nuclear Solutions (SRNS) solicits Expressions of Interest (EOI) from Minority Serving Institutions that provide research, design, development, engineering, test and evaluation and educational services to assist in the accomplishment of the current and future missions of the Department of Energy Office of Environmental Management (DOE-EM). Services shall include all areas of professional that support defined DOE-EM research and development needs. Collaboration with partners and funding agencies, preparation of written reports and presentations of results shall be elements of provided services.

This program covers applied research and related activities in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) that support defined EM needs in Site Restoration and Tank Waste. Activities performed in collaboration with DOE laboratories are especially encouraged. The hub national laboratory for the MSIPP is SRNL. This program is managed by SRNL, which is operated by Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, LLC (SRNS), at the Savannah River Site (SRS) for the Department of Energy. Download Full EOI and program details.

mage removed by sender.LSMCE Leadership Team Member, Rafael Bahamonde, Receives Taylor Award

Congratulations to our very own, Rafael E. Bahamonde, Ph.D., on receiving the Dr. Joseph T. Taylor Award, recognizing his contributions to the progress of diversity and inclusion on the IUPUI campus. Dr. Bahamonde serves as Interim Dean of the School of Physical Education and Tourism Management at IUPUI, and as LSMCE Director of Faculty Outreach. Read more about Dr. Bahamonde's contributions

LSMCE Welcomes IN LSAMP Program Manager

mage removed by sender.LSMCE is pleased to welcome, Michelle Quirke, M.S., as the Indiana Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (IN LSAMP) Program Manager. She brings with her many years of program development and management experience, including her previous role as the LSMCE Program Manager from 2012-2015. Welcome back to the LSMCE community!

Michelle can be reached at [log in to unmask], or (317) 278-6715.
IN LSAMP Website: http://inlsamp.org

This email was sent to [log in to unmask]
OK-LSAMP · 402 Scott hall · Stillwater, Ok 74078 · USA

mage removed by sender. Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

mage removed by sender.

To unsubscribe from the OU-LSAMP list, click the following link:
http://lists.ou.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=OU-LSAMP&A=1