From: Moody-Ramirez, Mia
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Panelists needed for AEJMC Chicago conference

Hello,

Below are two AEJMC (Chicago) panels that need additional panelists. Please let me know if you are interested or know of someone who might want to serve on the panel. Thank you in advance!

DEARTH OF DIVERSITY: Concerns in U.S. Journalism & Mass Communication Programs and Effects on TV Newsrooms
Wednesday, Aug. 9, 11:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
COD - Teaching

Sponsor: EEND
Co-sponsor: MACD - Minorities and Communication

Session summary
In a recent Washington Post article, University of Pennsylvania professor
Marybeth Gasman lamented the lack of diverse faculty members in
American universities. Put bluntly, Gasman said, “The reason we don’t
have more faculty of color among college faculty is that we don’t want
them. We simply don’t want them.” Gasman described five key reasons
why faculty of color aren’t desired, or hired. The problem intensifies in
many Journalism and Mass Communication programs, especially those
with intensive, industry-based skills components where the absence of
diverse faculty members likely correlates with the low numbers of diverse
news workers. If we look around our own programs, large and small,
teaching or research-centric, we can see how often former industry
practitioners are called upon to teach the next generation. What socio-
cultural forces are at work that contribute to this problem? How does the
long-standing, well-documented reality of social reproduction (also
common in newsrooms) exacerbate the problem to create a perfect storm.
Panelists address the problem head on and describe potential pathways
for overcoming personal and institutional biases.

Moderator
Lillian Williams , Columbia College Chicago

Potential panelists
George Daniels, University of Alabama
MAC Member #2 ,
Laura Smith, South Carolina
Ava Greenwell, Loyola Chicago
Other END Member

Sponsor: LGBT - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer
Co-sponsor: MACD - Minorities and Communication
Wednesday, Aug. 9, 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.
In the program: Listed in program
Listed as 'tip' in program: Listed as Tip

Panel Description:  Hiring minority faculty often brings diversity to research and creative and professional work, but diverse faculty are also able to bring unique perspectives to the classroom. These perspectives can bring challenges and opportunities not only for the students but also the diverse faculty themselves. This teaching panel aims to offer a forum for panelists to share their experience as minority faculty from this perspective. The panel will address topics such as the challenges, as well as the opportunities, of being a minority professor in the classroom and academic work setting, the impact it has on research and creative work, and the resulting effects that these teaching dynamics have on our professional areas across mass communication.

________________________________
Mia Moody-Ramirez, Ph.D.
Baylor University
American Studies Program Director
Associate Professor & Graduate Program Director
Department of Journalism, Public Relations & New Media
2016-17 ATL Baylor University Fellow
One Bear Place #97353
Waco, Texas 76798-7353
Telephone 254-710-7247
Website:<http://www.miamoody.net/> <http://www.miamoody.net/> <http://www.miamoody.net/> http://www.miamoody.net<http://www.miamoody.net/>

<http://www.amazon.com/The-Obamas-Mass-Media-Religion/dp/1137404922>Obamas and the Mass Media<http://www.amazon.com/The-Obamas-Mass-Media-Religion/dp/1137404922>

<http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mainstream-Framing-Racial-Profiling/dp/0761840362>Black & Mainstream Press' Coverage of Sept. 11<http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mainstream-Framing-Racial-Profiling/dp/0761840362>
James Byrd Jr. Study: <http://hewitttx.wix.com/jasper> http://hewitttx.wix.com/jasper