Dear Colleague:

Our book, From Griots to Twitter: Reflections on Black Humor, Race, Politics and Gender, traces the roots and fruits of comedy over the centuries as we analyze and offer insights into the intersections of race, gender and politics in the humor that is developed by, for and/or about black people in the United States.

In preparation for publishing the book, and by means of the attached survey, we are seeking your feedback as a seasoned professional in our field.

The ten chapters focus on how black and African American comedians of various periods used their communication skills and styles to reach professional and sometimes personal goals. We offer an introspective review of how, by the 21st Century, American black comedy, black comedians and comedy about black people had evolved worldwide, as the methods of disseminating comedic messages shifted over the centuries, from the word of mouth of African tribal griots to user-generated content produced on the Web. We focus attention on how, within the black community, communication morphed to include user-generated content shared on social media sites, such as Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram in what is commonly referred to as “Black Twitter.” Twitter, which turned 11 years old in 2017, especially changed how people communicate and was particularly significant for black users. The segment of the population, collectively known as Black Twitter, used this platform to drive visibility to discussions about black life and culture that was led by those who know it best—black people.
To read the full prospectus, please click this link: https://www.researchgate.net/project/From-Griots-to-Twitter-Reflections-on-Black-Humor-Race-Politics-and-Gender.

Would you please take a few moments to complete the three-minute survey below regarding the likelihood that you might adopt it as a primary or supplemental reading for the courses you teach.

Anonymous Survey Link: https://baylor.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bwQIQdO7fZoMt6d

Thank you in advance for any help you can give to us.

Sincerely,

JANNETTE L. DATES, PH.D.
Dean Emerita
Howard University School of Communications
2107 Carterdale Rd.
Baltimore, MD  21209
410-664-8148 (home)
443-963-6815 (cell)

MIA MOODY-RAMIREZ, PH.D.
Baylor University
American Studies Program Director
Associate Professor & Graduate Program Director
Department of Journalism, Public Relations & New Media
One Bear Place #97353
Waco, Texas 76798-7353
Telephone 254-710-7247