Hello MACers,

I hope you all are having a great semester! Please find below links to the updated AEJMC MACD website (updated by Mas Biswas), contact information for the 2017-18 AEJMC MAC officers, information on the AEJMC MACD Mentorship Program, followed by a message from AEJMC MACD Vice Head George Daniels.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Sincerely,

Mia Moody-Ramirez, Ph.D.

AEJMC Minorities & Communication Division Head

http://www.mediadiversityforum.lsu.edu/MAC/officers.html

http://www.mediadiversityforum.lsu.edu/MAC/index.html

Mia Moody-Ramirez at Baylor University

Head
Mia Moody-Ramirez
Baylor University

Picture of George Daniels

Vice Head
George Daniels
University of Alabama

Riva Brown

Faculty Research Chair
Riva Brown
University of Central Arkansas

Picture of Joseph Erba

Graduate Research Chair
Joseph Erba
University of Kansas

Melody Fisher, Mississippi State

Midwinter Coordinator
Melody Fisher
Mississippi State University

Danielle Kilgo

PF&R Chair
Danielle Kilgo
Indiana University

Photo of Sadaf Ali

Teaching Standard Chair
Sadaf Ali
Eastern Michigan University

Victoria LaPoe

Faculty Liaison
Victoria LaPoe
Ohio University

Leticia Williams

Graduate Liaison
Leticia Williams
Howard University

Kathleen McElroy

CSW/MAC Mentorship Program Liaison:
Kathleen McElroy
University of Texas at Austin

Meta Carstarphen

Membership Coordinator
Meta G. Carstarphen
University of Oklahoma

Ben LaPoe

Newsletter Editor
Benjamin LaPoe
Ohio University

Masudul Biswas

Webmaster
Masudul (Mas) Biswas
Loyola University Maryland

Photo of Miriam Hernandez

Social Media Coordinator
Miriam Hernandez
City University of Hong Kong

Miya Williams

Social Media Coordinator
Miya Williams
Northwestern University

Josh Grimm

MACD Head Emeritus
Josh Grimm
Louisiana State University

AEJMC MACD Mentorship Program

We are looking forward to launching the AEJMC MACD Mentorship Program for the 2017-18 academic year. The AEJMC MACD Mentorship committee met today via conference to plan for the upcoming year. Committee Chair Kathleen McLeroy will provide details on the program in a separate email. Thank you committee members, Danielle Brown, Federico Subervi and Victoria LaPoe for your service.

Message from AEJMC MACD Vice Head George Daniels

How Should Minorities and Communication Be Represented at our next AEJMC Conference

August 6-9, 2018 may be 11 long months away.  But, when it comes to planning a first-rate academic conference like we’re accustomed to having at AEJMC, it’s not nearly as long as you think.

Washington, DC is probably the most frequent location for our annual conference.  We were just there in 2013, less than five years ago.  But, it is the media capitol of the world.  Best of all, it is where lots of issues and topics related to diversifying our field and media profession get decided.   The FCC, which originally, played a huge role in influencing the presence of racial minorities in broadcasting and the ASNE, which set the diversity goals for the nation’s newspapers are both based in Washington area.

As a proud Howard University alumnus,  I am partial to Washington because it’s where I got my start in media as a student in what is now the Cathy Hughes School of Communications. I covered stories on Capitol Hill and interviewed for internships at Washington, DC media outlets.  I sat in on editorial meetings at The Washington Post and visited The White House press room multiple times.

This place is full of ideas for AEJMC programming that will advance not only our work as journalism and mass communication professors, but also our research agendas as media scholars.

As the new vice head and program chair for the Minorities and Communication Division, I want us to look back at some of our most successful panels and programs the last few years—including our 2013 conference in Washington and ask—WHAT DO WE NEED TO REVISIT, UPDATE or BUILD ON in 2018?   That will be one platform for building some top-notch programming.

But, we still need your ideas. Please e-mail me directly at [log in to unmask] your suggestions for panel or programming topics,   Possible Panelists and Co-sponsoring AEJMC Divisions.  We need to have some solid programs in place by the end of September so that we can communicate these to other units as the convention program grid gets filled in this fall.

Let me hear from EACH OF YOU by September 25, 2017.  I promise to follow up on each

e-mail.

Thanks to all who submitted program ideas while we were at this year’s conference in Chicago.

I have already started developing some of those and will be contacting many of you for help.