Faculty, Communications (Multimedia Journalism), Full-Time, Temporary, Spring 2018

General Statement of Duties

The communications department at Salem State University in Salem, MA is seeking a temporary, full-time faculty member for spring semester, beginning in January 2018. The position in multimedia journalism will include undergraduate teaching duties in (1) journalism, including reporting, news writing, featuring writing, print and online interview techniques, and web publication (2) other core communications classes if necessary, including computer production and introduction to communications. Candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas are especially encouraged to apply: investigative journalism, long-form journalism, multimedia storytelling, multi-platform digital journalism, data visualization, and emerging/non-traditional journalistic formats and initiatives. The targeted job start date is January 14, 2018.

Salem State is a teaching university, committed to our students' learning and growth, many of whom are the first in their family to go to college. Collegiality, student success, collaboration, initiative, continuous improvement and accountability are highly valued in our organizational culture and we seek a colleague who shares those values and wants to be part of our community.

Duties and Responsibilities

Candidates are required to perform duties in accordance with the MSCA contract. Duties include teaching, advising, scholarship and contributions to continuously improve the department and university. The standard teaching load is 12 credit hours per semester. The position is subject to available funding.

Required Qualifications:

A master’s degree in communications or a related field and professional experience in print and web journalism.

Preferred Qualifications:

A PhD, ABD or terminal degree in communications or a related field; demonstrated professional experience in print and web journalism; previous college/university teaching experience at the undergraduate level; experience using Macintosh operating system, iPads and other multimedia platforms; experience with video and audio applications; and experience in and commitment to teaching and mentoring in a multi-racial, multi-ethnic environment with students of diverse backgrounds and learning styles

Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online at https://www.salemstate.edu/offices-and-services/human-resources-and-equal-opportunity/human-resources-training-and and attach curriculum vitae, cover letter and transcripts.

Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.

EEO Statement:
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.