Dear George and MAC colleagues,
Given the politico-racial situation, for sure the DC conference will have many sessions with lively discussions and hopefully outstanding research on the topic.  I won’t be submitting any panel proposal, but count on me if I can be of assistance in helping with the success of the 2018 conference.

The one task to which I will be dedicating many hours is helping in the recovery of (1) the School of Communication of the University of Puerto Rico, and (2) Radio Vieques and other public radio stations in Puerto Rico.

As I can only hope you are well aware of, hurricane María cut a destructive path across my home country.  Visualize that storm as a slow moving tornado 25-35 miles wide with winds above 155 mph during more than four hours, followed by two days of torrential rains like the ones that flooded southeast Texas during hurricane Harvey.

The School of Communication, from which I graduated with my MA many years ago, was once again damaged.  The status of its communication library is unknown at this time, but hurricane Irma three weeks ago caused water leakage in the building and those facilities; for sure the damage was even worse last week.  I’ll try to find out more details as soon as cell phone and other communication infrastructures allow and then let you all know how best to help if you wish to do so.

As per Radio Vieques, that is the only public radio station on the offshore Island by that name.  Vieques itself was hit hard by hurricane Irma, and even more so by María.  As a member of the Board of Directors of the Latino Public Radio Consortium (LPRC), of which Radio Vieques is a member, there is a funding effort on behalf of that station and the other public stations on the Island.  If you could make a contribution, then please see the information and go to the links listed below, which were sent to me by Silvia Rivera, the Treasurer of the LPRC.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and whatever assistance you can provide.

Cordially,
Federico

A GoFund me page has been launched to raise funds for our stations in Puerto Rico.  Current did a great write-up on the challenges these stations are facing that you can read here:

https://current.org/2017/09/back-to-back-hurricanes-sideline-puerto-rico-pubcasters/ <https://current.org/2017/09/back-to-back-hurricanes-sideline-puerto-rico-pubcasters/>

In addition to supporting our community of stations, this is one of the best ways we can make our value known to the system.  Please consider sharing this link with your networks widely:

https://www.gofundme.com/getpuertoricobackonair <https://www.gofundme.com/getpuertoricobackonair>

I’ve also attached some images you can use.  In addition, if you are on twitter, here’s a sample tweet you can use:

RT Help #pubmedia #PuertoRico radio stations get back on-air.  Support any $$: http://bit.ly/2wNbueu <http://bit.ly/2wNbueu>  #fuerzapuertorico #latism

Your support is appreciated.