The nervous system plays a role in nearly every aspect of our lives. It guides everyday activities such as waking; automatic activities such as breathing; and complex processes such as thinking and reading. Studying and understanding the nervous system is important because it affects so many areas of human health and well-being.

This month, the NNLM Reading Club looks at the Nervous System through the lens of people living with a neurological disorder. The authors share how they discovered their neurological condition and how they manage their health. Help raise awareness in this field of science by reading and discussing one of the memoirs. Then learn more using information from the National Institutes of Health, National Library of Medicine, and other trustworthy resources.

NNLM Reading Club brings awareness to Neurological Disorders and the Nervous System featuring three new books this month.

Mean Baby: a memoir of growing up by Selma Blair

Leg: the story of a limb and the boy who grew from it: a memoir by Greg Marshall

No Time Like the Future: an optimist considers mortality by Michael J. Fox

This information is available on our Reading Club website:

Reading Club | NNLM

Dana Abbey, MLS, AHIP
Associate Professor

Strauss Health Sciences Library
Network of the National Library of Medicine, Region 4
Anschutz Medical Campus
12950 East Montview Blvd., Rm. 3101F
Aurora, Colorado 80045

Office: 303-724-2110