OSCER users,

Forwarding from the Research Computing for Smaller Institutions
(RCSI) 2024 conference.

Please reply directly to them, and please feel free to
forward to anyone who may be interested and appropriate.

SUMMARY:

CONFERENCE: Research Computing for Smaller Institutions (RCSI)
June 11-12 2024, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore PA
Contact: Andrew Ruether ([log in to unmask]),
Jason Simms ([log in to unmask])
https://rcsi.swarthmore.edu/
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/research-computing-at-smaller-institutions-conference-registration-852977928947

DETAILS:

We are pleased to confirm the availability of limited travel
funding for the upcoming Research Computing for Smaller
Institutions (RCSI) conference, supported by an NSF grant,
providing up to $600 towards a flight, up to $372 towards
lodging, and up to $154 towards meals and incidentals.

We hope that these funds will enable a diverse and vibrant
cohort of attendees to participate in the event and aim to
support as many people as possible within the budget.

You may request funding during the registration process.

---

Registration is available at the following link:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/research-computing-at-smaller-institutions-conference-registration-852977928947

We have reserved a small block of rooms at the Inn at Swarthmore,
available on a first-come, first-served basis; details are
available on the RCSI Itinerary page.

We are also continuing to finalize program details and will
provide regular updates via email and on the conference website.

---

Swarthmore College is hosting a conference on "Research
Computing at Smaller Institutions" (RCSI), June 11-12, 2024.

We welcome anyone interested to attend, though content
primarily will target the needs and concerns of non-R1
institutions.

This event is the evolution of prior conferences on
"High-Performance Computing at Liberal Arts Institutions"
held in 2023, 2022, and 2020.

Academic work in a variety of fields is increasingly reliant
on computational analysis, and researchers, faculty, and
students at institutions of all scales are looking for ways to
gain access to, and effectively leverage, research and
high-performance computing (HPC) resources to advance their
research, pedagogical, and vocational opportunities.

The genesis of RCSI is the acknowledgment that:

1. smaller schools increasingly confront identical technical
challenges related to research computing that larger
institutions do, such as data storage, reproducible (and
ever-more complex) workflows, collaboration, user and
environment management, etc.;

2. smaller institutions must face such challenges without
resource levels (e.g., money, time, FTE, expertise,
infrastructure, and so on) available to larger institutions;

and,

3. an open discussion of research computing challenges faced
by our community of smaller institutions can foster new and
beneficial ideas, opportunities and collaborations.

While significant progress has been made towards democratizing
access to a rich set of resources beyond R1 and similar
institutions, much work remains.

We invite anyone from ITS, Libraries, and any affiliated
programs, departments, and staff involved with research
computing support to join us for two full days to discuss
these issues, to exchange ideas, and to learn from one another.

Andrew Ruether and Jason Simms