From:
Lisa McLaughlin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:52:45 -0400
Hi again, Gabi:

To respond to your message part two, I agree that we can't get
anywhere by protest and opposition only. But, I'm guessing that most
of us are trying to make a difference in the places where we reside
or perhaps in other places that are outside of and away from the
UN/WSIS. My feeling is that too many of us, at one time or another,
myself included, have become overly obsessed with the WSIS when it is
not the primary place in which social changes will occur. And it's
not the best place for progressive dialogue--for the latter, I do
things such as stay involved in the CRIS campaign, go to the WSF, try
to do whatever I can to expose the role of IT companies in the
corporatization of development, and work with others in struggling
against the authorities in Cincinnati who are trying to wipe out poor
black neighborhoods and replace them with gentrified homes for
upper-income white people and Cinci cops who seem to want to shoot
every other black male that they see. Too much obsession with the
WSIS can take valuable time away from all of our more grassroots
activities, along with our "global" activities that are far more
progressive than anything that's happening at the UN.

There are times that I think that, at the end of WSIS: The Sequel,
many members of CS will need therapy to wean themselves away from the
"traumatic event":-)

That's why, other than writing quite a lot, "diagnosing the WSIS,"
I've decided to get a jump on things and begin the separation before
the end.

Best,

Lisa