From:
Juan Salazar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Juan Salazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 11:24:32 +1000
9th  International
Indigenous Film and Video Festival

Bolivia, September 10-20, 2008

Deadline for submission of films and videos:
Jun 20, 2008.

Call for Submissions

Celebrating the struggle of the world¹s indigenous people

The Indigenous and Original Peoples and the Peasants of Bolivia are inviting

The indigenous peoples of the world
The sister organizations in the continent
The organizations of communicators and media activists who identify with the
indigenous peoples

All of the people and organization who produce, foment, and distribute the
cinema and video of the indigenous and original peoples and of the peasants

Participate actively in the

Ninth International Film and Video Festival of the Indigenous Peoples

Which we will celebrate in La Paz and in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia
September 10 - 20, 2008.

Through this event and the movement it generates we seek to affirm the full
social, political and cultural recognition of the indigenous peoples.  We
wish to highlight the value of the image and of communication in order to
celebrate a plural world in which we as indigenous people can construct the
future we desire.  We encourage the production of cinematic and video works
that give voice to our peoples and depict them with dignity.  We strengthen
the ties that unite the indigenous and non-indigenous communicators who are
fighting for a more just world and for the full recognition of our rights to
self-determination.

We would like to share with all of you our cultures, experiences, and
projects.  We would like to learn about your proposals and points of view.

IX INTERNATIONAL FILM AND VIDEO FESTIVAL OF THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLES

Submission Requirements and Award Criteria:

Deadline for submission of films and videos:
Jun 20, 2008.

The films and videos will be selected and awarded prizes according to the
following criteria:

* Reflects the rights to freedom and self-determination of the indigenous
and original peoples and peasants
* Foments the respect and dignity of the indigenous peoples
* Calls attention to and denounces the violation of rights, the persecution
and the genocide suffered by the indigenous peoples
*Promotes gender equality and the rights of indigenous women
*Contributes to strengthening indigenous identity and culture
*Highlights cultural expressions in situations of disappearance and
assimilation
*Contributes to the organizing processes and the struggle of the indigenous
peoples
*Expresses the notion of development from an indigenous perspective
*Promotes intercultural dialogue
*Defends the right to communication
and the creative use of aesthetic and narrative resources

Awards and Honorable Mentioning
We are considering the following acknowledgements:

For the
            Defense of the Indigenous Peoples¹ Rights
            Preservation of the Indigenous Peoples Identity and Culture
            Process of Social Organization of the Indigenous Peoples
            Best Fiction with Indigenous Participation
            Testimonial and Documentary Value
            Promotion of Gender Equality and the Rights of Indigenous Women
            Creativity and Contribution to Indigenous Narratives
            Tele Sur award
            Unesco Award Cámaras de la Diversidad

Five prizes will be awarded in Indigenous Art and prizes will be awarded in
audiovisual equipment.  Special mention will be made whenever the judges
consider appropriate as an incentive for creative and production processes.

Participants and Topics

All film and video productions that expose any topic related to the
economic, cultural, organizational, social and political issues concerning
the indigenous peoples are eligible.

Genre/Format/System

The Festival is open to all genres and formats, except commercial programs.
For organizational purposes the organizers will group works into the
following categories:

            Fiction
            Documentary
            Docudrama
            Animation
            Experimental

Cinema:  Acceptable formats are: 35mm, 16mm, Super 8mm
Video:  HDV, DIGITAL (Mini DV DVCAM DVCPRO), DVD, BETACAM, S-VHS, VHS
We prefer videos in NTSC format but will also accept other systems.

Productions that directly promote political parties, governmental or
non-governmental institutions will not be considered.

Language

Priority will be given to works that can be understood by a Spanish speaking
audience.

Works in other languages, especially indigenous languages will be accepted
if they are subtitled in Spanish or submitted with a transcription into
Spanish.

Production Date

The submitted works shall be filmed after January 1st, 2005, and shall not
have been screened at the VIII International Indigenous Film and Video
Festival, celebrated in Mexico in 2006.

Submission and Return of Material

To send materials and promotional materials:

Please indicate clearly that the material has no commercial value and is
destined for a cultural event.  The works submitted should be accompanied by
the inscription forms, photographs and other promotional
materials/translations, etc. Please send everything to:

CLACPI Bolivia

CEFREC CAIB
Calle Otero de la Vega 812 2do Piso, zona San Pedro
Tel. Fax 2490094
Casilla 9368
La Paz BOLIVIA

This Call for Submissions and the inscription forms may be downloaded from
the internet at:

www.plandecomunicacionindigena.org
<http://www.plandecomunicacionindigena.org/>

www.clacpi.org <http://www.clacpi.org/>

Expenses incurred for sending materials are the responsibility of the
participants.  Materials will be returned by the organizers free of charge.

Contacts. ­

IX FESTIVAL EVENTS

Itinerant Festival in the communities (15 days before urban events)

Santa Cruz de la Sierra, 10/ 13 de september 2008
La Paz, 14 / 20 de september 2008

Forum on the Indigenous Peoples of the World and of Bolivia
Official Screenings of the IX Festival
International Film and Video Screening about indigenous struggles
10 year retrospective on indigenous audiovisual communication in Bolivia
Presentation on Oaxaca and the VIII Festival, Mexico 2006
VI International Cinema and Communication Meeting of the Indigenous Peoples
Presentation of the Poor Cinema (Cine Pobre), Gibara, Cuba
Roundtable: The Image of Indigenous Women in the Media
Panels on diverse topics. Participation of the production crews responsible
for work competing at the festival
Cultural events
CLACPI General Assembly

Working Group on Television Co-production

Creation of an Indigenous Production Series

We invite outstanding productions of the IX Festival to contribute toward a
Television Series with 13 episodes, each lasting 55 minutes to be shown on
Tele Sur.

We invite those attending the IX Festival to present production proposals on
the topics of territory and selfdeterminations in order to create a
television series with 13 episodes, each 55 minutes, for Tele Sur.

Call for submissions issued  by:

Latin American Coordinating Committee for the Cinema and Communication of
the Indigenous Peoples (CLACPI); Sole Union Confederation of the Peasant
Workers of Bolivia (CSUTCB); Confederation of the Indigenous Peoples of
Bolivia (CIDOB); The Union Confederation of the Migrant Colonizers of
Bolivia (CSCB); National Federation of Indigenous, Original, and Peasant
Women of Bolivia Bartolina Sisa; the National Council of the Ayllus and
Markas of the Qollasuyu (CONAMAQ).

ORGANIZERS:

CLACPI IX Festival Commission
National Preparatory Committee