From:
Sean O Siochru <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean O Siochru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 17:44:26 +0100
Hi Fred and everyone

I am proud to say that Dublin Community Television, following more than a
decade in planning, lobbying and building, is today celebrating the first
birthday of its official launch last July.  With seven full-time staff,
lots of short-term people and volunteers, we now produce up to 40 hours a
month of community programmes (as well as broadcasting selections from
around the world), much of it in our new state-of-the-low-end-art
studio.  This volume of own-produced stuff puts us second only to RTE - the
public service broadcaster here!

You can find out more about DCTV at www.dctv.ie and we go out on cable all
over Ireland (Republic only!).   But you can also stream our own-produced
programmes from Vimeo (the cheapest way we could find to stream high
quality), and all can be torrent-downloaded (all creative commons. of
course).  See: http://vimeo.com/user950597/videos/sort:date  for about 55
programmes, including local and international campaigns; drama made by
school children, our own news programme called The Sound; and lots lots more.

You can even see me producing/presenting a few! e.g.
http://vimeo.com/4899546  a panel discussion about a radical magazine in
Ireland of the 1970s called 'Ripening of Time' that many of us read and
wrote for.

We believe that right now there is a huge obligation on all of us to
develop and get alternative ideas out, to confront the current
financial/economic crisis with ideas that have the potential to generate
systemic change, not simply a return to the status quo of consumerism and
ever spiralling 'growth'.  So we are really trying to build a platform, as
well as people skilled and confident to do this, in television and video.

In solidarity with all of you...  lets keep building these bridges sand by
all means view, download and screen any of our stuff you like!

Sean
Chair DCTV.