CERVANTES-L Archives

Coloquio Cervantes

CERVANTES-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"A. Robert Lauer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. Robert Lauer
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 14:43:15 -0500

>Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:41:59 -0400 (EDT)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Was Cervantes a feminist: from Dario Fernandez-Morera, Northwestern U
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>I suppose it would depend on one's definition of feminism.  If one means
>favoring women's freedom of choice in their lives regarding things like
>love, marriage, and general way of life, I suspect Cervantes was a
>feminist.  At least his female characters are evidence of this.  If one
>means favoring equal pay with men regardless of work experience, the right
>women have to abort their babies without interference from the community
>in which they exist, their right to get equal money for high school and
>college sports regardless of audience's interest, the right to keep the
>children in case of divorce unless the woman is basically a criminal, and
>other positions, one may doubt he would be a feminist given his historical
>status as a Spanish man of the late sixteenth century.  Besides, modern
>feminism shares some basic assumptions but there are differences of detail
>among those who call themselves feminists.  They do not make a monolithic
>block.  Some of the views listed above are not shared by all
>feminists.  There are other views not mentioned that some feminists share
>and others do not.  So it is safer to say that Cervantes' feminine
>characters are fairly good evidence of the views listed first above, but
>not of the views listed afterwards.  Beyond that, one is merely making
>interesting analogies and transpositions  that cannot be substantiated for
>obvious reasons: one cannot ask Cervantes the man of flesh and bone.  So
>he cannot be characterized as a feminist tout court, but as a writer that
>seems to favor some views which are associated with modern feminism, but
>which as a matter of fact can be associated not only with feminism, modern
>or not, but with freedom-loving viewpoints on human life that have existed
>long before what one calls feminism, a relatively recent label in human
>history anyway.  Dario Fernandez-Morera

__________________
Prof. A. Robert Lauer
The University of Oklahoma
Dept. of Modern Langs.,  Lits., & Ling.
780 Van Vleet Oval, Kaufman Hall, Room 206
Norman, Oklahoma 73019-2032, USA
Tel.: 405-325-5845 (office); 405/325-6181 (OU dept.);
Fax: 405/325-0103 (OU); Fax: 1-530-364-9575 (business)
<http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/L/A-Robert.R.Lauer-1/vita.html>Vita /
<http://www.peterlang.com/all/>IBÉRICA /
<http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/L/A-Robert.R.Lauer-1/AITENSO.html>AITENSO /
<http://www.mla.org/>MLA / <http://www.ou.edu/bcom/>BCom
Vision: Harmonious collaboration in an international world.
Mission: "Visualize clearly and communicate promptly"