CERVANTES-L Archives

Coloquio Cervantes

CERVANTES-L@LISTS.OU.EDU

From:
"A. Robert Lauer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A. Robert Lauer
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:45:48 -0500

>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Juergen Hahn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Fwd: Dario Fernandez-Morera: We
>have seen the enemy, and it is  us.
>To: "A. Robert Lauer" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Bravo, Dario, I absolutely could not have summarized
>it better! It  occured to me there may be a reason why
>things seem even worse now  then when your highly
>perceptive book came out: Those who represented the
>current back then were largely still junior professors
>who still had to reckon with the resistance from older
>"universalist" scholars in their career evaluations.
>The latter have been disappearing into retirement,
>many unfortunately in pure panic, and those erstwhile
>juniors are now the undisputed senior professors in
>charge. So now you have the worst effects of the
>Kuhnian paradigm, and the worst of all worlds.
>
>As for that scholar who considers the term "bourgeois
>liberal crap" to be  legitimate critical terminology,
>how should one respond? Perhaps with "Marxist crap"?
>Or "race-baiting crap"? But I fear that would mean the
>final descent into the speechless nethersphere of the
>"Hollow Men" (or women).
>
>Juergen Hahn

Prof. A. Robert Lauer
The University of Oklahoma
Dept. of Modern Langs.,  Lits., & Ling.
780 Van Vleet Oval, Kaufman Hall, Room 206
Norman, Oklahoma 73019-2032, USA
Tel.: 405-325-5845 (office); 405/325-6181 (OU
dept.); Fax: 1-866-602-2679 (private)
Vision: Harmonious collaboration in an international world.
Mission: "Visualize clearly and communicate promptly"
<http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/L/A-Robert.R.Lauer-1/vita.html>VITA
/ <http://www.peterlang.com/all/>IBÉRICA
/<http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/L/A-Robert.R.Lauer-1/AITENSO.html>AITENSO
/ <http://www.ou.edu/bcom/>BCom /